CAM?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Scott2, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Scott2

Scott2 Member

I need some clearification on something. What exactly does a cam do? Please excuse my ignorance. I'm just now really getting into modifying engines and restoreing. This is my first truck/vehicle. Is there any maintanance I need to do? The truck that I bought has a cam and I was just wondering what it does exactly. Thanks for the help.

2. babyblue81

babyblue81 Member

Well, if you've ever seen a cam, this will make a little more sense. The cam is a long shaft that has lobes on it. The lobes hit the pistons, I believe, and are shaped funny so they roll off them with a different degree. There are many different types of camshafts, some performance, in which the lobes are at a different degree to help hit the pistons faster.
    I'm not a genius on these, but I'm pretty sure this is right.

3. Txlearmech

Txlearmech Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-05 AT 09:13 PM (CST)]Ummmm. Bluebaby if your cam lobes are hitting the pistons, time for an overhaul. Try this link. This is the simplest explanation I could find that has pictures. Hope this helps and read part II and III. http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/camshafts/
    Dream Big, Dare to Fail!!

4. Hardy Rest

Hardy Rest Guest

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-05 AT 11:20 PM (CST)]Oh yea, by the way, babyblue and this name - same person :)

Haha, I didn't even notice I said pistons - VALVES is the better word! :)

That's a good link, also, if you go to www.howstuffworks.com and type in camshafts or something to that effect, it will explain it and give you motion diagrams of how they work.

hahaha...pistons...lol
    :7

5. Scott2

Scott2 Member

Thanks for the help. The guy that sold me the truck said it had a performance cam and I was getting things mixed up. Thanks for the clearification.