questions about motor

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by loomer_52, Dec 23, 2002.

1. loomer_52

loomer_52 Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-02 AT 09:44 PM (CST)]I have a 84 chevy silverado which has had a newer motor put in it --- i cant get to the block number but the person who owned it before me put a vehicle emissions label inside the hood . is there anyway to tell from that what year this motor might be if the label is correct ?? Or do I have to get the block number somehow .. The Label is right with the engine -- it is TBI. had someone tell me it was an 87 but when i picked up a erg control soliniod i was told that an 87 doesnt show to have that part. Thx
    Chris - Fort Worth,Tx
    1984 Chevy Silverado

Attached is a picture of the label i am talking about
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/3e07c1ae06b054d9.jpg

2. 87_Chevy_4x4

87_Chevy_4x4 Member

Yes, some of the later 86 models and all of the 87 trucks came with TBI. But it could have come out of a newer model truck or was purchased new. I think your best bet would be to check the block number.

3. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

If that emissions tag is correct, the year would be in the bottom sentence about conforming to EPA regulations, but it appears to be scratched out. I'll look into the EGR solenoid and see what I find. There should be an assembly date stamped on the right (passenger side) of the motor, then look it up at www.mortec.com

Robert

4. loomer_52

loomer_52 Member

thanks for the help --- I will check on that casting date number . The motor has cruise control ( not hooked up ) on it and am going to take out to try and get to the block number --- ill let ya know what i find .... merry xmas everyone

Chris - Fort Worth,Tx
    1984 Chevy Silverado

5. 86 c10

86 c10 Member

I am a mechanic in the big city and i may have your answer. It is possible you have a stolen 87 truck that has an 84 vin attached in its place.the tbi motor is not an easy swap because it uses an in tank fuel pump and this would require changing all fuel lines and the dash harness and computer and alot more.The decal you show has the year deliberately scratched off to hide the year.check the rivets and vin tag carefully and look for rosette rivets and no signs of alteration.regular pop rivets with round heads are a nono.
    the complete truck has dates and date codes on everything.a code of lets say a017 would translate to jan 01, 1987 b would be feb,etc.
    this would be on block, heads. intake, rear axle, and alot more.
    there is serial nos on the top of frame on right rail between front
    right 2 bed bolts. and under cab about 2 feet in front of that other
    number. use a gas soaked rag to clean rail, and a mirror and a flashlight. I am not kidding, in my years around chicago ive run into
    this maybe 5 or 6 times when ordering parts and they dont fit. many years trucks look similar. I suspect foul play. 86 c10