Bolt threads on steering column stripped

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Fahrbach 1951 3600, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Fahrbach 1951 3600

Fahrbach 1951 3600 Member

Sadly the threads for the nut that holds my steering wheel in place have weakened to the point that I cannot tighten the nut down without it slipping. I'm wondering what options anyone might suggest to resolve the issue?

Fahrbach 1951 3600

2. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

Do you have a original steering column?? Are you referring to the 2 piece "donut" that holds the steering column to the dash??

3. Fahrbach 1951 3600

It is an all original steering column and steering wheel. The threads are for the nut that holds the steering wheel to the steering column, not the clamp that holds the steering column to the dash. I'm just looking for any possibly solutions other than replacing the entire steering assembly. Any suggestions, appreciated.

Fahrbach 1951 3600

4. john1

john1 Member

Use vice grips clamped to the shaft instead of a steering wheel, at least it worked on my go-kart for several months. If the threads won't clean up with a die and hold with a new nut your choices are limited. I'm guessing the shaft is probably 3/4" OD. I would cut off the damaged threads flush with the major diameter of the shaft and grind the end of the shaft flat and square. Then center punch the shaft and drill and tap for a bolt. A 5/16" x 18 should work with the correct sized washer to hold the wheel in place. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts. John

5. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

That's a problem. Have you tried rethreading??

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I would try posting a "parts wanted" ad. Surely someone has a good one, they would sell.
    Might try one of the giant forums, where there are lots of guys swapping in modern steering columns.
    Steve.

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Replacing the shaft is a lot of work and you'd probably have to buy a whole steering box and column just go get the shaft. Might as well just change the whole column.

8. HotRod53

HotRod53 Member

I have a column and gear box that I am not going to use what part of the country are you in you might have something I need for my truck we might could work something out

9. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Put the nut and flat washer on as far as it will go,,drill a hole sideways thru the nut and steering column, and put a cotter pin thru the hole.
    Finished and done.

10. Fahrbach 1951 3600

Some great ingenuity.....thank you. Re-threading is probably the wisest at this point but tugging in my memory is something I think Nate once said that when original threads are toasted,throw it away. I would like to know for sure before a choose the next smaller die.

11. coilover

coilover Member

Carefully use a Dremel tool to grind down a few thousandths so a 7/16 fine thread die will start and cut some new threads. After die bottoms out from regular position turn over and make threads all the way. Since the splines are on a taper there is ZERO, NIL, NONE pressure on the nut once the hub is set on the taper. Probably could throw the nut away once set. Once the wheel is in the desired position one could use a tube and brass hammer to set the hub on the splines and then a 1/4" nut would be enough to hold down onto the splines. On ones where the wheel has been on a long time removing the nut takes two seconds while getting the hub off the splines can take an hour and uncountable cuss words and shows how little the nut contributes to holding the wheel on.

12. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Man.... Once a steering wheel is seated on the column they are impossible to remove without using a puller.....

Instead of grinding, cutting , re-tapping & drilling the crap outta the steering column for a cotter pin.....:eek:.

I would would seat the steering wheel on the splines of the column using a piece of pipe as the seating tool
    {the wheel will now no longer come off of the column without the use of a puller}.

Then use teflon tape to build up the threads of the nut as the nut is only a redundant securing feature.

The real holding power of the steering wheel to the column is the wheel to column splines
    { & those don't have anything to do with the splines that hold the nut on}.

The only thing that the nut really secures is the horn button retainer.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  13. Fahrbach 1951 3600

Thank you so much, everyone. Some great help here, all appreciated. I have seated the wheel so it isn't going anywhere, planning to tape the threads so I can at least get some pressure on the nut, and will probably see if I can get a cotter pin hole drilled so I can eliminate worry about what might be going on under that horn button. Thanks agains.