Speaker Locations

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by greenizgd, Mar 17, 2003.

1. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

I have my whole Kenwood audio system picked out for my '74 C10, but I have one major problem. I plan to put four 6" speakers in my truck. I was going to make speaker boxes for behind the seat, but I don't have a clue where I am going to put them up front. For some reason, I thought that I had removeable plastic kicker panels that I could stick them in, but I don't. The only other option that I can think of it to put them in the doors, but I don't want to cut into them.

Did any trucks in these years come plastic removeable with kicker panels....or are there any aftermarket ones that I can get?

I would appreciate any response for my problem.

How deep is it behind the kicker panels if I were to cut into them...could I get a speaker in there?

2. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

lmctruck.com has the kick panels with speakers already built in.look them up and order a free catalog they got a bunch of good stuff.Karl

________
    Maine dispensary

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  3. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-03 AT 09:52 PM (CST)]I have those catalogs, but I was unable to find any kick panels. I did order another one just in case mine didn't have them in it. All I saw in mine was the kick panel carpeting. I have seen the kick panels for years prior to 1973, but they wont work for me. If you have any other ideas on speaker placement, let me know. Thanks

4. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member

Hey, custom autosound has the kickpanels. www.custom-autosound.com
    part# KCHT-73/9,73-79 chevy truck 6.5, or PIOKCHT 73/9, pioneer upgrade 6.5 speakers. also mite try there dual voice coil speaker for your dash.or 4x10 for the cab.they even have speaker pods that can be mounted on any surface without cutting holes,available in 4",6",4"x6" and 6"x9" hope this helps.

5. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

Hey,
    Thanks for the help....that is exactly what I was looking for, but I didn't know it would be that much money...$130!? Anyway, did any of the trucks in this year come with stock plastic kick panel. I thought that if I could pick up some of those and make a hole for the speakers...if they are deep enough. From those kick panels I saw from the website, how do you mount up?

Thanks again

6. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member

OK, There is not enough room behind original style kick panels for a 6" speaker,unless you cut a hole in the metal body.That is what i have done and they sound great.you can get carpeted kick panel covers from Chevy Duty to dress it up at 30.00pr they come in several colors and can be screwed or glued on. Keep in mind the more the speaker stickes out the more it will get kicked!

7. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Member

Have you considered putting them overhead? There is a headliner available called a Highliner. It comes with 4 speakers already installed. The driver and passenger each have their own left and righ channel speakers directly above their heads. Plus it puts a large dome light right in the middle of the ceiling. And there is a panel above the visor for mounting gauges. Really a neat setup.

I'll try to attach a picture.

JP
    Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/3e7cddaf099c1028.jpg

8. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

I don't remeber if I said this before, but I have a '74 C10. Now, I looked at the plastic kick panels in some of my catalogs and saw that they are for the years '75-'87. I am one year off. Do you know if those kick panels will work on my truck if I buy them, even though it is not for my year. So far, finding some kick panels and cutting holes in them along with the metal seems like the best way for mounting my speakers....but thats the only problem I have encountered.

The way I see is that they didn't start putting plastic kick panels on the trucks until 1975, but since my '74 has the same body as a '75, they should work. I imagine that are just screwed into the metal....right?

9. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-03 AT 07:55 PM (CST)]our '74 suburban has the full plastic kick panels but its a cheyenne super. the lesser trim levels might not of had them and they do screw right into the metal.L-M-C has them with the speakers already in them its part number 38-8508.there 169.95 hope this helps.Karl

________
    Find Dispensary

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  10. 77chevyman

77chevyman Member