1947 truck SB HEADERS

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jdalby, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jdalby

jdalby Member

I am building a 47 custom cab, stock frame w/ TCI MII cross member, coil springs, power rack. I have a 95 5.7L and a 700 auto tranny. I just finished the rear mock up and relocated a camaro tank to the bed, tight fit, and now I am starting the front. Looking for a alternate header other than the short block hugger style.
    I have heard that 1980's to 1990's C10 mid length headers will work as well as mid length camaro headers!

Can anyone confirm this?
    It's an expensive trial and error experiance that I want to avoid.

2. jim1949

jim1949 Member

I am looking for headers also i have a TCI frame with a 350 SBC and 700R4 the inside spark plugs touch the block hugger headers so i am looking for something else the problem is the mustang 2 steering hits the exhaust on everything else i have tried. I put a mustang gas tank in mine.

3. jdalby

jdalby Member

We have similar setups. Let me know if you find something that works. I have contacted several header companies and nobody has any definite answer so. Also I have posted on several message boards and haven't gotten anywhere there either.
    I am going to try the mid length C10 header so but it won't happen until next spring.

4. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

I posted the same question yesterday still waiting for response. I suppose we need more patience. There is an answer out there we all need to wait for it. I'm considering ram horns. Anyone used those?

5. jim1949

jim1949 Member

I tried them they blocked the steering rod that's why i tried the block huggers.

6. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I saw this pic in a Facebook post. Im curious to see how he'll run the steering shaft. IMG_0821.JPG

7. jim1949

jim1949 Member

8. jim1949

jim1949 Member

I found this this might work he cut 3/4 inch off not sure where i could get a set to try.

9. jim1949

jim1949 Member

I also found this looks like they are made for mustang 2 front end. Resized_20161101_212727.jpg

10. jdalby

jdalby Member

So they do fit?
    The steering can't be routed around?
    they are similar to what I am planning to try, Flowtech 11504flt

11. coilover

coilover Member

We have spent many hours on a dyno concerning exhaust and found that GOOD rams horn manifolds out perform most cheap headers. If one can afford true equal length tuned headers like Hooker Competition or Doug Thorley then the headers beat the rams horn but at 2 to 3 times the cost. Here is how we rate (for street use) from best to worse: Tri Y from Thorley, four tube tuned equal length from Thorley/Hooker, Rams Horn, cheaper tri Y, block hugger, cheap 4 tube--long or short. With exhaust and camshafts there are as many variations as there are cars that use them but for STREET use the above gets in the ballpark. With extreme gearing, exotic induction, long duration camshafts, etc., everything changes. People that wouldn't dream of putting pop up pistons in some cylinders and flat tops in others in the same engine will happily slap on headers with unequal length primary tubes which unbalances the volumetric efficiency as much as the pistons affect the dynamic balance. If all someone wants is shiny headers for the wow factor then we get ones where MOST of the tubes clear everything and cut out the ones that don't. Speedway, Summit, and others sell 90 and 45 degree bends that one can fit to the cut off tubes so all clears. Here is one way to mock up tubes to clear everything using defroster duct tubing and aerosol styrofoam. Not easy to find headers for a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk.

57 Golden Hawk, Headers 016.jpg

12. jdalby

jdalby Member

that's a great idea.
    I am mostly going for the look not perfomance.

13. jim1949

jim1949 Member

I figured out why the block huggers did not work on my 350 i have Brodix heads on mine and it seems if you have anything other than stock they don't work same thing with the headers from what they say. I went back with the ram horns i got from speedway and with a little pipe fabrication they will work.