Rubber seal gasket inside the fuel filter ass. eaten up by use of fuel containing Ethanol !

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Be aware ! This can cause a very dangerous situation for all truck drivers.

My truck had been standing still for a longer period. As i needed to do some basic maintenance before i could start here up again this fall it was when i discovered that a rubber seal gasket in the fuel - filter - ass. was completely eaten up by the 95 octane fuel i had been using back then. I was not aware of the fact that my local gas station had added ethanol to there fuel !
    I replaced the rubber seal gasket with a synthetic corque type which makes it tight again ! I only fill here up with none ethanol unleaded 98 petrol gas from now on . Politics in Europe are that most countries want to stop selling this fuel quality 98 octane ! Norway is no exception here . Only ESSO and Shell still sell this fuel.

Martinius.

:D TAKE :D THE :D MONEY :D AND :D RUN :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

It is very difficult to find ethanol free, gasoline, here in the United States, Martinius. I'm told, marine fuel, availiable at boat docks is a good place to look.
    Any modern fuel, has a very short "shelf life", and should have a stabilizer added to it if it is going to sit for any length of time.
    Our gasoline here, has generally, ten percent ethanol added. The U.S. farm interests, are pushing hard for twenty, or even twenty five percent.
    Maybe the rest of us should push for the farmers to buy us new engines, every couple years.

Steve.

3. 77 Chevy

77 Chevy Member

I despise ethanol and haven't ran it in any of my vehicles or small engines for the past 6+ years. I've had ethanol free gas sit a couple years in some outdoor equipment without using any type of stabilizer and they still start up within the first three pulls. If I let 10% ethanol gas sit in a small engine it would gum up the carb and I would have to rebuild it. A lot of the gas stations here in the Kansas City area are starting to carry ethanol free. It started years ago as premium only at select pumps at a handful of stations. Now the largest local gas station chain, QuikTrip, is renovating all their stations and they're adding ethanol free regular unleaded at every pump as a separate nozzle.

Here is a good website to find stations local to you that carry ethanol free gas.
    Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Thank you so much for this great information and the good idea having everything organized one look it up website . I will look it up if there are any websites for Norway or Scandinavia that tell us how many local stations that carry ethanol free gas ? If it does not excist i will contact the administration for the Norwegian classic car and classic motorcycle union , and ask them to have a website like that made wich will gain evryone that like classic vehicles !

Do you have any experiences or information in what material that could be used to make seals or gasket products of instead of synthetic rubber ? Special gasket material that allows very high heating , pressure , oil , acid ?

Thoughts i have !

Asbestos is maybe out of production i think ?
    Nylon seals are very often to hard in use !
    Compressed thick paper gaskets ( red colored ) maybe ?
    Synth. Cork is possible but limited in sizes and thickness ?

Martinius

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Thanks for the link, Adam. After checking out the Indiana page, however, I noticed several stations selling the "Countrymark", brand. Countrymark is the farmer owned refinery, fuel distributor, here in Indiana. I would be very wary of the accuracy, of them being listed, ethanol free.
    They also push bio-diesel, which has a very short life, gells at a higher temp., and is not well recommended by most diesel engine manufacturers above B20.

Steve.