Fuel Guage

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by buddha, Jan 8, 2005.

1. buddha

buddha Member

I need help with the gas guage in my 49 3100 p/u. I have installed a new sending unit, grounded to frame. I also bought a new gauge and voltage reducer. When hooked up, the guage goes past full and disappears behind the bezel and won't return to E when power is off. I took out the cluster and watched the guage in action. If looking at the guage as a clock and the 1/2 tank mark would be the 12 o'clock position, the guage goes past F stopping at the 4 o'clock position. Ohm reading on sender is 17 ohms and I have about a 1/2 a tank of gas.
    What's wrong here? I installed a new harness as well.x(

2. Txlearmech

Txlearmech Member

Might be stretching it here but I'm using my airplane skills. All the sending unit does is actually act as a variable resistor, changing the load to ground. So if I'm thinking correctly, power will run through the gauge to the sending unit. Depending on tank level (resistance) depends on the load. If you un hook the wire on the sending unit (ground or power doesn't matter), see what the gauge does. It should go to empty in theory. If it doesn't then you have power to the gauge that shouldn't be there. As soon as you unhook a wire you break the circuit. Another thing is you might be bass ackwards on the gauge/harness hookup. Pos to neg etc... Another thought is if the new gauge is compatible with the sender. For example my stock gauge is for a 30 ohm sender, not a 90! Hope this helps. So hard for me to troubleshoot with no hands on. Try these thoughts and get back with me.
    Nik

Dream Big, Dare to Fail!!

3. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Your power side is on the E post if you hook the power up to the F post you may have damaged the gauge.
    Empty or E= power
    Full or F =sending unit wire
    Any questions give me a call Chevy Duty tech. Jesse Hazell 816-741-8029 ex.500