67 chevy G 10 van manual to auto

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by simon, Nov 22, 2016.

1. simon

simon Member

HI looking for help just got a 67 G 10 van previous owner switched manual trans to auto but left the old steering column in i'm having trouble figuring out what to do auto column are hard to find need advise on a floor shifter that could be modified to work..250 6 cyl 2 speed power-glide trans ..Thanks

2. coilover

coilover Member

We just keep the standard shift column, hold the shift lever up in the low/reverse position and tack lever at bottom so it can't drop back down into the 2nd/high position, fab a shift rod from low/reverse lever down to the lever on the transmission, and go about your rat killing. It's pretty obvious when the trans is in park or reverse so the only indicator mark needed is for the Drive position and one won't need that after a week of driving as it will be natural to shift to.

3. simon

simon Member

Hi thanks for reply but i need to pass a safety inspection to register the van

4. coilover

coilover Member

Lokar offers a floor shift with all the bells and whistles if your pocketbook is fat. To pass safety inspection we use an all weather starter button that is mounted so the shift lever activates it in the park position only. About 1/50th the cost of a Lokar.

S10 055.jpg

5. coilover

coilover Member

A bit short on info here. The wire from the switch to the starter solenoid passes through the starter button.

6. simon

simon Member

Thanks for the info still looking at options i saw a b+m shifter that might work.