Asking for information on how to make a 1/2 T soft top bed frame

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Blueflame236, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

After reading an article on Deves website about the crew that cruised across the pond in there chevy truck car/float rig from the US to Cuba and about the pickup poncho pic-upcover2
    i was thinking that maybe some of you had tried to make a nice arch looking frame work and canvas cover , using the four pole holes in the pickup bed side walls .Or maybe came up with another solution made out of steel or wood ? So if there is anyone out there being creative and have some experience in how to make this i would appreceate the information :) .

Thanks a lot Martinius

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. coilover

coilover Member

You might check out soft tops on military vehicles of several different countries. We had what I believe was called an M6 small troup carrier that had a soft top and had a bed about the size of an AD. Not a soft top but we had a man on our race car crew than owned a topper company in Dallas called "LEER". He made a taller than normal topper (so we could haul a 55g drum of alcohol) for our 53 Chevy 3100 tow vehicle. He died a number of years ago so I have no connection to the company now and have no idea if patterns were made or if it was a one off deal. I would also check out who makes the canvas tops for covered wagons as maybe one could be modified to fit an AD. As I recall our army truck had a top speed of around 45mph and flapped the top pretty good but on the other hand there are trucks with tarp sides and tops that come by the shop at the speed limit, 75mph, with the tops cracking like a rifle but seeming to do no harm.

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Coilover

I have been checking out some possible solutions , also inspired by your answer. My son suggested i should use a aluminium box profile in a bit smaller size as the 4 bed side holes are. The profile would be stiff enough and easy to Tig weld he said. Aluminium would also be easy to bend in a machine. I will post the final results when i have done the upgrade !

Thanks a lot for your story and information , Martinius.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I hope you'll share with us the results.

The bows are the hardest part ~ once you get sturdy bows you're all set, measure and rig the canvas keeping it as tight as possible to reduce flapping as flapping causes rapid wear .