79 Chevy wiper controls

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by njineermike, Apr 17, 2003.

1. njineermike

njineermike Member

I would like to change the wiper controls on my '79 from dash-mounted (thats the ugliest control I've ever seen) to a stick-mounted control. Is the turn-indicator stick compatible, or would I need a new column to accomplish this? I have the tilt-style column. I will have to pull the electrical anyway. The guy I bought it from has it so screwed up it's not even funny. The voltmeter reads nothing, the oil pressure is maxed out, the turn indicators run the emergency flashers, the gas gauge reads 0-1/4 tank only, the blinkers don't work when the headlights are on and the brake light stays on all the time. might as well do something worthwhile while I've got it gutted to fix all that. Also, Hot hard would it be to have new gauges set in place of my old oil/temp/clock inserts? Might as well go for broke.

Mike

2. 76454

76454 Member

I'm planning on swapping all of my gauges as well, and I have an idea. It works in my head, but we'll see what really happens. My plan is too get a billet aluminum dash panel (from either ChevyDuty or #####), mount that on top of my regular dash panel, cut the holes to size in order to make the gauges fit, and then try to wire this all together. I'm replacing everything with AutoMeter Ultra Lites. I think that this will be easier to do once I've put in a new wire harness for the whole truck.