Body - Repair or Replace

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Mike B, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Member

It may be an age old question, but I'm wondering if the answer has changed over time.
    I have an original body 59 truck with rust-thru and bondo in the expected places throughout.
    I'm in the repair vs replace struggle and am looking for the group experience.

Are the reproduction body panels better today than they were 5 years ago (older posts in general seem to frown on reproduction panels)

Have any of you been disappointed that you chose to use reproduction panels?

2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

I have replaced my back Cab Corners and and small front piece under the cab, and Rear lower Passenger front fender repair panel also
    using aftermarket repair panels,
    all in all they were a good fit,
    "BUT" i did have to cut and massage them into place, not that big of a deal! really.
    I try and keep most everything original and using the smallest aftermarket patch or replacement panel on it.
    also you have to remember, that panel fitment on the trucks were not that great to begin with and really did not get the love that
    a car might back then.
    I have a stock 59 stepside and were the top of the cab meets the drip rail was totally miss aligned from the factory!
    also have a 58 Cameo that has a few factory fitment issues too.
    Finding stock items to replace what you have might be like trying to find a Zebra in the Az Desert!

Good luck with your build,
    Allen

3. Mike B

Mike B Member

Thanks for the input Allen. Patching my existing original parts sounds like the preferred path over replacing an entire body panel with reproduction parts.