Front fender to cowl, seal.

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 50 Chevy LS3, Jan 9, 2017.

1. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

If I remember correctly, Chevrolet used a sort of gasket seal between the front fender and cowl area. It was flat, possibly rubber, and not "beaded" fender welt.
    I could not find this seal listed from our host's here, at Classic Parts.
    Am I correct on this, and what did you guys use?

I don't really have anything against using beaded welt, just thought it would be cool to have original style seals.

Any input, appreciated.

Steve.

2. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

You can make your own with roofing paper because that is basically what the original seal was and it's what is used between the inner and outer fender.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    If you do go the felt paper (I always heard it called tar paper) route, make sure it is 30-lb, not 15-lb.

4. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

we do offer inner fender seals, which include the seals for between inner and outer fenders as well as firewall. our part # 37-725

Inner Fender Seals-Classic Chevy Truck Parts

edit* sorry I see you are looking for the outer fender, our fender welt comes in lengths to cover 4 fenders. A lot of the guys I talk with use the fender welt up there as well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  5. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Yes, roofing paper, the heavy one! Or also known as tar paper! When I make some of these seals I usually try to make a pattern....front fenders, back fenders, Panel truck back fenders, other stuff like seals for hole plugs or backing for little stuff like a little old 6-volt electric vacuum booster, window wipers, mirrors or what ever. Oh, I make a pattern then try to make a few extras just for the fun of it...many are just the reverse of the first one. The work fine and many times better than the bought ones. Also, I don't like "cute". I like doing like it like it was really done in the old days. Hey, I should send in some of my Cheap Thrills stuff.
    rod

6. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    You probably have a pretty good chance of scoring a "damaged" roll of 30-lb felt at you local lumberyard for well less than than the ~$20.oo a perfect roll will cost. Or even better, buy a roll, make TWO of everything, and I'll split the cost of the roll with you! The roll is 216 square feet... so you can make all the mistakes you want!

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

OK, heavy tar paper, Thanks guys. I've got some of the light stuff here, I'll have to go ask about the 30-lb paper.

Ben, thanks. I've already ordered and received that #37-725, kit from you guys. If I decide to use beaded welt, I'll order some of that from you. I'm getting ready to send in a order for some small misc. stuff, like bed blocks, and shiny new taillights.

So, did Chevy use tar-paper here, also? Behind the three rear vertical cab supports?

Seems like I remember this stuff being sort of felt-like, and pretty thick... 100_5786.JPG

Steve.

8. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

If they did, it was waffle pattern, which was also used on the inside roof area. I think Classic Parts sells a roll of if.

9. Joseph Martinez

Joseph Martinez Member

By the way, make certain you measure the bed blocks. I bought new ones and they were 2 1/2 inches tall, when they should be 2 1/4 inches tall. All I did was cut the extra quarter inch off. I also glued aluminum tubing into the hole of the block and sprayed the block with some flex seal. I figured it would help the block last a bit longer.

10. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Wood bed blocks always dry up & fall apart.

I used 2 1/4'' square steel stock & made my own bed blocks that will last forever.

11. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Your right, Joseph, I found a tiny fragment of the original stuff. Waffle pattern. Only place I could find it for sale was Chevs of the 40s. Very expensive, $124.25, for a 3'X8', roll!
    I'm going to figure out something else, unless, I find it cheaper.
    Thanks for the proper dimensions. I could make some steel blocks, real easy. Maybe allow for some rubber pads to cushion the frame.
    I seem to remember years ago, one of my blocks split, and was held together with a couple large radiator clamps wrapped around it.

If anyone knows where a guy could get that waffle pattern tar paper, please let me know...

Steve.