Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Zig

Zig Member

As I said elsewhere, I am SO glad I gave sticking with the six a try and didn't yank it for a V8.
    My hot rod days are way behind me, but this little 6 will run down the highway just as fast as if it had a V8 in it. As much as tires cost, the only way mine would cut loose would be backing up the grassy slope to my garage.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Zig, you and I are the same age. I must have missed that "step" into maturity...

Steve.

Zig likes this.
  3. Zig

Zig Member

I think my need for speed ended the night I was driving my 67 Mustang down a narrow, hilly, country road at night. I thought, eh~ what the hell, lets see how fast the V8 will go. With grin on my face, I watched the speedometer climb above 100MPH. Just then, I hit a bump in the road and my headlights went out. I quickly hit another bump, and they came back on.
    It had problems with the wiring.
    The space in time between bumps sucked, as there was no moon and apparently it takes several feet of roadway at that speed to get your eyes to adjust to the darkness.
    Thank God the road was straight.
    I figured I'd try to give God one less hot rod to watch over, so I've been good with just getting from point A to point B "normally", since that night.
    But believe me~ I appreciate a well built motor. V8, Chrome, big ass blower while we're at it.
    I wouldn't mind splitting my stock header and getting a twin intake for my 228, however... With two 2 barrels? #cool#

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Either two single venturi carbys or three if you really need to go fast.....

5. Zig

Zig Member

I guess I need to check Patrick's site. It seems like he had an intake that fit a 228...
    That sounds dandy. 3, that is. #cool#

6. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig, I hate to be the voice of reason... (because, you know, I have NEVER been the voice of reason before, in my entire life) but it seems to me a guy oughtta finish his truck FIRST and then worry about extra power. See, that is EXACTLY why Steve and I have fitted a proper V8 (his more "proper" than mine) to our AD trucks! Our excuse? we MEANT it to be this way. YOUR excuse? beds are for sleepin'! Finish that darn thing, so you can come and visit!

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The older I get the more I have come to realize that for nostalgia and just all around cool factor it's hard to beat a stovebolt motor with dual carb's and split exhaust. V-8's are the "me too" motor..... This post coming from a guy with V-8's in all 3 of my ole classics.

_____
    John :cool:

8. Zig

Zig Member

Well, I'm just pulling this thread back up because tomorrow is supposed to be cool and rainy~ I'm thinking it would be a great time to go back over the build of my truck. (just for fun)
    In just a few, I will be firing it up and head over to my mom and dad's to chew the fat with them.
    Anyway, I hope you all get to tool around in your truck today as well.
    upload_2017-1-21_13-35-33.png

Attached Files:

9. Zig

Zig Member

It rained, I read and reminisced~ Thank you again, everyone. The support and help I got from you guys was priceless!

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A GREAT photo Zig ! .

What kinda wipers are you running ? .

I'm sitting in a $tarbuck$ looking out and the POURING rain....

I use " RAIN-X " on both my windshield and backlight` one has to use this wonderful product to believe it .

11. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Nate!
    It doesn't have wipers yet. It has the 12 volt motor all hooked up, but I need new wiper arms/wipers.
    Also, I don't have any door glass, so I just drive it on "nice" days. But I drive it all over town, believe me!
    My wife bought me new door glass and vent window glass for Christmas.
    She wasn't aware that I still need about $200 worth of parts/rubber to install this glass.
    The glass is neatly stored away until later.

It's been raining here as well~ Seeing the sun has been limited at best. Mostly, the days are wet and grey.
    Blah~

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I recently installed a new set of wipers and wiper arms from our host. I was VERY UNIMPRESSED with the wimpy looking connection between the arms and the wiper blades. BUT, it rained one day last week and I was VERY IMPRESSED with how well the system worked. I just hope they hold up.

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is a cool picture, Zig.
    I'm glad your having some fun with your Ol' Jimmy.

I thought the reason you've been absent from the forum is those third-graders had you tied down like "Gulliver".

Steve.

14. Zig

Zig Member

Glad to hear they worked okay!
    So I dug around in my garage looking for an item, and I found the ziplock baggy that has bot wiper arms and blades that I had taken off my truck! SCORE!
    The only problem is the spring that holds the wiper arm to the windshield has broken in one, and is missing in the other.
    I'm hoping I can take the two parts on a shopping run and find two springs that will replace the originals.
    Even after I get the door glass reinstalled, I may not drive it much if it is going to be raining a bunch.
    If I don't need to, why do it, right?

15. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Steve!
    Actually, since I got my truck running, I've taken my free time that I would be on here, and turned it into windshield time behind the wheel of my old GMC. #cool#
    Like today, for instance.
    Global warming has its perks, as today was in the mid 60's!!! How could I not think of a million reasons to run to this store and that?
    First Home Depot. Then I realized I should grill some meat for lunches.
    Back to Dillion's.
    On the way home, hey~ how bout a nice bottle of wine to go with that?

I love driving my truck.

I also love getting on here and seeing the progress of others, even if it is w-a-y past what I could do.
    I just look forward to the day y'all get done and have the pleasure of driving your trucks all over hell's half acre!
    It's fun!

Even without a bed.

16. Zig

Zig Member

So I took the old truck to Dillon's to get some stuff to grill tonight.
    Forgot my checkbook. [​IMG]
    Oh well, that just meant I had to drive my old truck another lap.
    Cool!
    As I came out of the store the second time, a family had just stopped behind my truck and a boy and his mom were walking towards my truck.
    The boy came running over to me and asked quietly if they could take a picture of my truck.
    I said sure! and he quickly got by the driver side door as his mom took the picture. She changed places to get another, but I told her to wait. I said he ought to just get in and look out the window like he's driving the thing.
    He did.
    That smile on his face as his mom took the second picture was priceless.
    Thank you, God, for this beautiful day. [​IMG]

17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I always encourage onlookers with cameras to get inside. The extra smiles are the advantage of not having a garage queen.

Zig likes this.
  18. Zig

Zig Member

Amen. And why you will find my truck among all the other vehicles in a parking lot. #wink#

19. Wolf

Wolf Member

So glad you are enjoying your truck!

20. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Brian! Glad to see you're still hanging around here!
    I hope your enjoying that old car of yours?