84 won't stay started

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by eagle83, Mar 1, 2003.

1. eagle83

eagle83 Member

I have an 84 chevy that will not stay stared.I have already replaced the fuel filter, but it still will only stay started for maybe 1 minute.It had stalled and died on me before I replaced the filter. Any help is appreciated.

2. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

A few things could be wrong. The EGR valve maybe sticking, or you may have a valve sticking. How does it sound when it's running? Does it lope, sound like it's cutting off then starting back up, or run then just shut off?

Robert

3. eagle83

eagle83 Member

run then just shuts off. Also sometimes when you go to restart it, you turn the ingnition key and nothing happens,1-3 tries, then it will try to crank.

4. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

I hate electrical systems. Check your grounds. Could possibly be a bad starter. If that doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the park/neutral safety switch at the base of the steering column. Best way to check it is to pull up on the shifter and turn the key. I don't think it would be the starter, but it's a possibility.

Robert

5. eagle83

eagle83 Member

I was thinking fuel pump,for it just dying. The fuel filter was old and dirty. What do you mean by pulling up on the shifter? as in jiggling it around in park? Is the park/neutral switch hard to replace?

6. morgandavid

morgandavid Member

also check the fusible link on the firewall. these are known to cause this too. i've had this problem before.

7. AC_DC_2001

AC_DC_2001 Member

When you get ready to start it, take your left hand and pull the shifter up and hold it there. Then, turn the key with your right hand. They aren't very hard to replace if you can work in a confined area. The switch is at the base of the column mounted to the firewall. There's usually about four wires going into with plugs on them, check all the connections and see if that works. Your other problem could very well be the fuel pump. But I have no idea how to diagnose them.

Robert

8. little_chevy

little_chevy Member

Test youre fuel pump. I had a that problem to with my car it was stalling on me,i changed the fuel filter,etc. but when i finally got to the bottom of the problem it was the fuel pump. The fuel pump was weak, so therefore it would still pump gas to start the vechile but it wont stay running because the pump couldnt keep the pressure up to keep pumping the fuel and it cause the engine to stall on me.

9. mkaz

mkaz Member

check fuel pressure sounds like bad fuel pump,or maybe bad ground from battery to frame. disconnect fueline fromcarburetor and spin engine over if fuel pumps the pump is working fine so look for a damaged return fuel line going back to tank.;)

10. eagle83

eagle83 Member

replaced the fuel pump, worked fine till I had to replace the battery and starter selanoid. Always something.