Remembering the birth of my garage...

Discussion in 'Garage' started by Zig, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Before building this, I had to move my truck about 8 feet, straight to the right. It was too close to the fence, and the city wouldn't allow me to build this any closer to the property line. After that was done, I stuck the 4X4s deeply into concrete, and then went to town. I wanted small windows that no one could crawl through, and I wanted them up high so the light wouldn't be right in my eyes.
    The roof was constructed out of 2X10's, 20 feet long. It was not fun getting them over the cab of my truck. Of course I wouldn't ask for help, and as it turned out, I never needed any with this project.
    The first siding I stuck on it was much appreciated by termites! I had no idea there was such a healthy population! They got between it and the sheathing and had a grand old time. They also loved the house just over the fence.
    All the framework on my garage was treated wood, so they left that alone, thankfully.
    I wanted something different for a garage door.
    I didn't want an overhead door because I knew I would have the door up a bunch at night time, and I didn't want the lighting being blocked out.
    Sooo.. I thought I'd make a bi-fold door, but have it open horizontally with weights to counter balance it. It works perfect, and some day I will attach an opener to it. Give a bit extra shade, as well.
    I also made several louvers that are next to the windows so heat ventilation isn't a problem.
    I'm happy with it anyway. I'll be even MORE happy whenever I get a concrete floor in it! Then I can install official wiring and put away the very long extension cord that powers it currently. #rolleyes#
    IMG_3917.JPG
    flyover.jpg framed!.jpg

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

So your barn is kind of a hybrid Pole Barn... posts in the ground for the foundation, but stick walls and roof. Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post these Zig.

_____
    John :)

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

That is cool, Zig.
    You seem to be a man of many talents.
    Of course, we will need additional pictures, now.
    As Nate once pointed out, the brick sidewalks are cool.
    US 40, through Brazil, Indiana, was originally completely paved with brick. Hidden under years of asphalt, the old brick, along with original "interurban" rails, remained, undisturbed, until recently. Then, they came in with giant track hoes, and tore them out, and hauled it all away.
    Kind of sad to see. Also made me wonder how many old coins were hauled away, undiscovered.

Is that big old house in the picture, yours?
    If so, that deserves pictures posted, also.

Steve.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Steve. And John, that was my way to build it NOW, because I didn't have the $$$ to pour a slab/driveway like a normal person would do. ;)
    The old Victorian in the background is our house. It was built in 1908. It needs shingles, so that is where the focus is now.
    I built this garage about 5 years ago, I think.
    I love having this to hang out in, plus, a fire pit out back helps.
    The picture below shows the back side, so you get an idea of how the windows turned out. I just framed them between the studs. 16 X 16". Because I was too cheap to buy ready made windows. The Little Library is something I was asked if I would do for our neighborhood. We just happen to have a neat cabinet that we felt would be perfect for this, and it ended up being the part with the doors. My wife LOVES gardening, so I built the tower that has a planter on top. This was about two years ago. The playhouse in the background started out as a storage shed for my lawnmower... My wife's background is in architecture, so there is never a shortage of ideas for me to turn into reality, just a shortage of $$$. The front of our house is about all you can see. Again, my wife loves to plant stuff, so during the summer our house is hard to find, unless you are looking up. The paint scheme is a labor of love, but obviously, I love bring old things back to life. They just don't make them like this anymore. The craftsmanship is a thing to behold.
    IMG_3899.JPG IMG_3114.JPG IMG_2763.JPG

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Zig, THANKS for the pictures! Beautiful Victorian home. My daughter loves old houses like that, says she wants one someday.
    The garden areas with edging and ornamental grasses, and flowers are nice. I cannot show these pics. to my wife, because that would just buy me a whole lot of work.

Just think how much the nation/world has changed in the time your house has stood.

More pics?

Steve.

6. ClassyMate123

ClassyMate123 Member

great looking home. oh and nice truck

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Zig.. The wife and I just love old houses too. The craftsmanship is mind boggling.

The windows in your shop, that's slick. Let's in a bunch of light no doubt.I so much prefer natural lighting, the new LED's are great, but not as good as the real thing.

Happy Trails...

____
    John

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow, that's nice Paul .

I love and use, Little Free Libraries and I THANK YOU for creating one for others to use .

Literacy is *so* important and it's loosing ground every day in America right now .

? How far from the lot line did you need to build ? . my 1923 'T' model Ford garage is closer .