Removing a Steering mast jacket 1957

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by vhpeddler, Nov 11, 2011.

1. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

Anyone have experience removing and replacing one of these. Not sure what tools I need and how to do it. Kinda spooks the crap out of me.
    Thanks for any and all input.

2. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Why are You Removing The Outer mast? Just Wondering, Its Pressed Into
    the Main Body and Would need To Be Almost pressed Out from The Bottom
    Of the Cast Assembly (If I am Reading Your ? Right) Which I Believe Could Be Done!
    Allen

3. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

steering mast

Removing due to wear and very loose steering fit.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

There is a replaceable bearing in the top of the mast. Other than that, I can't think of any place that wear could occur.

5. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Are You Trying To Remove the Steering Column From Your Truck To Rebuild? If That Is The Case, Then I Suggest You Get Yourself a Shop Manual and Take It Step By Step.
    Not That Hard To Get It Out But Does Take Some Tools That You Could Rent To Get It
    Out ie; Steering Wheel puller & Pitman Arm Puller etc...But If You Think You are Getting In Over Your Head, Have Someone Do It For You !!!!Better Yet, Show You How So You Learn How To Work On Your Truck!
    FWIW Allen

6. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

steering mast bearing

Bill,
    You are correct about the placement and wear. That is my issue. Any thoughts on how to remove that replaceable bearing.

7. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

One Wire For Horn Goes Down The Mast and The Upper Bearing Just Pulls
    Out at The Top Pretty Simple Fix!If Stock Blinker Assy Than You Will Need To Deal With The Wires as well

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

1. Remove the wire from the horn under the hood. Keeps you from bothering the neighbors while you are working on this.

2. Remove the steering wheel. Use instructions here: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/gmc/5559mm/5559mm528.html

3. Remove the upper bearing/horn contact like AZ58Cameo says.

9. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

All To Funny & To Real Bill,LOL MY Horn Came On In Middle Of Night and I Was
    Getting Mad & Thought it Was My Neighbors Truck:mad:
    But It Turned Out To Be My Own:eek: To Funny

10. vhpeddler

vhpeddler Member

steering mast bearing

Thanks to you both, have copied info. You stated you just pull it out. Is it that easy or do you need a puller as in the manual? Thanks again.

11. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Peddler, The Upper Bearing has One Wire To it That Runs Down The Mast
    after You Disconnect it, ( Down The Mast Towards Floorboard)You Should Be Able To Pull Or Pry with a Screwdriver The Upper Bearing Out Of The Top
    of The Steering Column.
    The Bearing Is Not That Big and is in a (finalic) Composite Housing if I Remember Right!
    Good Luck With Your Truck!
    Allen

12. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Air chisel for pulling off a steering wheel?

A simple way to remove a steering wheel is to Use a air chisel if you have one. I know this sounds funny but you can do this faster than you can go get the puller out of your tool box. First you need a air chisel with a punch point attachment. Then you loosen the nut on the steering wheel but leave it on the threads flush with the shaft. This is so you don't hit yourself in the face with the steering wheel when it comes off. Then place the punch end in to the hole that is drilled in to the end of the shaft , if there isn't a hole then just put it in to the center of the shaft. Then while pulling up on the wheel with one hand pull the trigger on the air chisel and in less than 2 seconds the wheel will pop off. I have never had a wheel I couldn't get off using this method and no body has ever been able to do it faster with a puller....Big Tim :cool:

13. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Thanks Tim for the tip,Sounds So Simple I Think I'll Pull My Steering Wheel Off
    Just For The Fun Of It to Try It!! :D LOL Cool&Great Tip!:)
    Allen

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. Andy miller

Andy miller Member

the steering mast can be removed by heating the steering box where the mast is pressed in , i used a tube measuring 1 13/16'' ID with a flange welded on the top to drive the box off the mast . used a rose bud to heat the box .