How to mount door hinge to cab

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Mike B, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Mike B

Mike B Member

Guys,
    I'm assembling a '59 truck that I purchased in pieces. I'm trying to learn some detail on how the door hinges are intended to mount to the cab. Some points have receiving nuts that are fixed to the cab and others just have pass thru holes. I assume there are some extra parts I need to obtain, but since I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I can't seem to find anything describing this on my usual parts supplier sites.
    Are there any videos online that clearly show this process?
    I'll learn more later about door hanging once I have this fundamental step addressed.

Mike

2. Mike B

Mike B Member

Just adding a couple photos to show what I have.
    The top hinge position on the driver side has no threaded plates for the top or bottom bolts.
    The bottom hinge position on both doors has threaded plates for top and bottom bolts.
    The top hinge position on the passenger side has threads for the bottom bolt but not the top.

Attached Files:

3. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Bolts go threw the Top and Bottom and nuts on back side of them, you access them threw the side of the Kick Panel just inside the Cab
    you will also attach a bolt to the very back (Third Hole inside the Pocket in your picture)

Hope this helps you,
    Allen

4. Mike B

Mike B Member

I see pockets on the firewall side of the third hole which indicates a heavy captured nut, but I wasn't sure if this was something that a previous owner added for reinforcement or if it was by design. I have limited visibility to what is standard and what has been customized and in most cases, I'm just following what is in front of me hoping it works out but didn't see this as an available part in any of the places I shop. (see photo)
    I also wasn't sure how heavy of a nut/washer system needs to be used in the front top an bottom nuts. I suspect I'll choose heavy reinforcement in this area just as overkill.

Thanks for the guidance.

Attached Files: