Reality check

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Apr 1, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Went to the Greenville, Texas swap meet today mainly because we have friends that live just a couple blocks from the Fair Grounds. The swap area was disappointingly small but the car corral area has grown a bunch. Some very nice work and ingenuity was on display. I was surprised by the number of SBC and SBF that had carburetors. I was ready to put a R.I.P marker over them as we just about never use anything but the LS Chevy or Coyote Ford engines. Looks like WE are the ones in the minority and the old 350 and 302 are still alive and kicking. Our mind set is distorted I'm sure by the very fact that when one carries something to us it signifies that their pockets a deeper than the guys using sweat and muscle. God bless them all.

2. john1

john1 Member

I'm amazed at the number of people who still cling to carburetors, and the drive ability/hot start problems today's fuel causes. Gasoline has been blended for fuel injection in mind for the last 30 plus years. I switched over to fuel injection in my truck at least 15 years ago. It has sat for 18 months at a time, then will start right up and idle perfectly. There is no vapor lock, no long cranks because of evaporation, no cold start hesitation or stumble, it just works without any drama. If you like the look of a carb there are lots of throttle body injection systems which resemble a carb and use traditional manifolds and aircleaners. If you dig online you'll even find systems which will work on vintage inline sixes. The only things in my garage not fuel injected are a lawnmower, chainsaw, snowblower, and a generator. John

3. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Some of us don't have the $$ for such things or the knowledge to make them work. Some of us resist the computer age we are only here kicking and screaming and work with what we understand like carburetors, points, electronic ignition etc. It's not for lack of intelligence but time and experience. My wife's daily driver is an LS it goes to the shop for repair after I put it on my scanner for a diagnosis. Everything I drive has a carb. or is diesel. I enjoy the thought of making anything run with a few basic tools and knowledge.

ccharr likes this.
  4. DaveLovesTrucks

DaveLovesTrucks Member

Totally agree!