New to Forum

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Servpro745, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Servpro745

Servpro745 Member

Hello. I have always been part of forums for my sleds thought I would try some out with my truck. Here are some pictures of were i am at so far.

Attached Files:

2. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Welcome I am a short timer here. They been good to me. Wealth of information here.
    More specs on your ride and your end results.

3. denisf

denisf Member

Hi I am a snowbird and when I am in CT I find these folks very helpful and inspiring. Welcome. Denis

4. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Welcome!
    Do us a favor, and add your name (and location) in the signature, so we know who/where you are! Let's hear the back-story on your truck, since you have already satisfied Zig's first request (pictures).

5. Zig

Zig Member

Seriously! Nice truck! (another one built to fly)
    Looks to be another Chevy, and yet another variation of seat/installation.
    Like Mike said, I'm interested on the back story to this one as well.
    Thanks for the photo update! Love the frame color!

6. Servpro745

Servpro745 Member

I bought this truck in Aug. 2001. Its a 1949 chevy 1/2 ton. I completing stripped it down to the bare frame and only left 3 original cross members. I put a fatman mustang 2 front end and I put in a 34 ford rear leafspring set to move the leafs to the inside of the frame to give me room for bigger tire. I boxed in the entire frame. I added a 57 chevy gas tank to the back of the truck. I built a mild small block 350 with 400 horsepower and 700r4 behind it. I narrowed a 9 Inch rear end to fit the truck. Truck was moving fast the first 5 year but then i got married and had kids and moved 3 time. So it was slow moving cause all my money was going into my houses. I finally settled into my new house that I completely remodels and now I have 2 garages so finally have some room too work. Cab has tons of work into it. I have about 3 gallons of primer on it that has been block out and removed the drip rales to give it a better look. I am working on fitting all the fenders now. Its been a long road but shouldn't be long. (I HOPE). I will defiantly post my progress. I will try to get some of the pictures posted from the beginning.

7. 1951 chevy blue

1951 chevy blue Member

Welcome Nick, Keep on moving at your own pace you'll get there. That truck looks great so far. It seems you have it well thought out. One question though, with the shaved rain gutters what is your plan for sealing the doors to the cab for no leaks? Again it looks great!

8. Servpro745

Servpro745 Member

Great question! So to give background my nieghbor I grew up next is a hot rod and paint master. (If you asked him he would say he is a hack but he is far from a hack. I will sneek you guys some pictures of his work.) He has been my guide when I needed anything. Thats were i learned how to do everything. He used to tell me if i mess it up on something more than 4 times then he would jump in and help. That was his way of yeaching me. So from time to time you will here me say WE thats who I am talking about. SO what WE came up with is we used tubing to extend the gap between the doorand the cab and it created a little channel. He also has owned a napa for the last 25 years which also helps but he has a unversal door weather stripping kit there that has a lot of different sizes and shapes. That how i am going to seal the door.

9. Servpro745

Servpro745 Member

Attached Files:

10. coilover

coilover Member

I see you welded up the cowl vent hose drain hole in the firewall but kept the cowl vent door. These doors are hard to seal completely so you may have to address that. As far as shaved drip rails are concerned, if you put in in a heat/ac unit and duct it for outside air then any speed above about 30mph will give the cab a positive air pressure and keep water out even if the weather stripping is not perfect. Looks like nice work and should give a finished one to be proud of

11. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Coilover
    I did the same thing on my firewall. Under the dashboard is a nipple that allowed me to install a rubber hose and clamp. I ran the hose down to the transmission tunnel and on out. My console hides the hose.

On another note my rear Springs are located inside the frame rails. Was hoping to get wider wheels but the bed sides are now the issue. Could cut the and put some tubs ..... naw
    Maybe wheel offset... or just live with what I have

12. Servpro745

Servpro745 Member

THANKS! Love the idea about the positive air. I have a vintage air system. I will keep that in mind when i do the final install.

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Very nice project, Nick. Cool hotrod. Keep us updated.
    I'm a fellow Hoosier. Very familiar with the Indiana, Lake Michigan, area.

Steve.