Short or Long?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fantm2flyer, May 6, 2017.

1. fantm2flyer

fantm2flyer Member

I have a '50 5-window truck with a 235 engine in it at present. I'm rebuilding a 327 small block that came from my latest project and plan to put it in my truck. I'm in the process of gathering all the bolt on stuff for the engine (starter, alternator, water pump,etc) and was wondering whether I should use a short shaft or long shaft water pump. I don't want to get too close to the radiator with the fan, but also don't want the fan too far back either. This rebuild is sort of a break from a '58 Impala restoration, so I haven't gotten into actual measuring or trial installation yet, but just wanted to avoid buying parts that won't work for what I want to do. For anyone who has done this conversion, which water pump did you use? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

2. coilover

coilover Member

Short for sure. You can get fan spacers of any length and in my may years of messing with old vehicles I have never said, "Oh darn, there is too much room around the engine". A 1955 or 1956 Chevy car 265V8 left exhaust manifold will let the manifold clear the steering box.

3. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Go short. I have a 383 stroker in a 52. Using an electric fan. Had to no room for ao regular fan or cut the firewall

Now here's the rub...my 55 first series has a 283 long water pump regular pump driven fan with a spacer on the fan.
    Possibly engine block size? Don't know

4. fantm2flyer

fantm2flyer Member

Thanks for the replies. For sure, it doesn't hurt to have some extra room in the engine compartment. Several years back, when I restored this truck, I did the mod putting a later model front suspension in the truck, which involved cutting 2 inches from the center of an '86 full size Chevy p/u suspension and bolting it to my original frame. (Believe the article describing this was done by a guy named Andereggen). That gave me front power disc brakes and power steering, but also involved moving the steering box outside the frame, so I don't think I'll have an issue with the V8 and the steering box. I want to repaint the truck and do some firewall smoothing before I put the V8 in, so it'll be awhile before it happens. I will post some pics when it's finished. Thanks again for the advice!

5. 51Truck

51Truck Member

235 still running? Still have it?

6. fantm2flyer

fantm2flyer Member

Yes, I still have it, it's still in my truck. I probably won't get around to installing the V-8 for some time. I do know where there's a good 235 in Nicholasville, Ky, if you're looking for one. Guy wants $800 for it. PM me if interested.