Front end help---need some pictures

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by LDO, Jan 26, 2013.

1. LDO

LDO Member

I purchased this rebuild kit for my 57 front end. http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../5559SHK-F.htm

I am a little concerned because it doesn't look like the old stuff I removed. In particular, the threaded pins. My old stuff had nuts on the end of the threaded pins. The new pins don't extend past the shackle plates. Am I to assume that the center (long carriage bolt) bolt keeps the shackle plates squeezed together and that's it?

Can anyone post some pictures of their front shock mounts?

This kit didn't come with any instructions so I got nothing to reference.

Also, is anyone familiar with torque values for the hardware on the front axle? Didn't find anything in my assembly manual except for the ubolt nuts.

2. skidly

skidly Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  3. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

shackles

If you don't have the repair manual you should get one, lots of info in it that will help. I think most of us have the assembly manual and the repair manual, you can never have too much info. As for pictures, sorry, I don't have any pics of my shock mounts.
    That is good advice from Skidly.
    Glad to see you are using the original straight axle, seems like people are quick to get rid of it, I kept mine too. Takes ten acres for a "sharp" turn, ride is so stiff run over a dime and you can tell the date, to me it is all part of having one of these great trucks.
    Notice you are in Florida, me too, Ocala.
    Gerald

4. skalywag

skalywag Member

Just to be safe, I found this helpful: upload_2017-6-19_13-14-55.png

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

As it states in Eaton's article above, "follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations first".
    UBolts.jpg