how to mount a 6.0l LS motor into an AD frame

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 53mess, Jul 4, 2017.

1. 53mess

53mess Member

Anyone put one of these motors into a AD frame. Any help would be appreciated

2. coilover

coilover Member

Done several of these swaps along with LT's and even one LS7. We have our own mount adapter pattern but you can buy them from a number of different sources, just do a search for "LS engine mount adapter". Once these are bolted on then just buy a mount kit for any sbc. On older LS engines a steam tube is plumbed into the upper radiator tank or hose. The *@#&! coolant inlet needs to be changed to a straight facing forward one and the air induction tube for the injection set up will have to be fabbed up; usually involves using an elbow. This is such a routine swap I probably didn't take pictures. Something that might help is a shot of our LS engine lift bar. They are a b!tch to try to hook a chain to.

Engine lift bars 002.jpg

3. coilover

coilover Member

You can see the mount adapter on the side of the block.

4. coilover

coilover Member

And a lift bar shot that gives a better perspective.

55 pu eng bay, LS lift, Int.fuel tank 001.jpg 55 pu eng bay, LS lift, Int.fuel tank 002.jpg

5. e015475

e015475 Member

There's a lot of ways to do it, but here's what I did-

Started with some ebay motor mount plates - search "LS1 Motor Mounts". For $20 it isn't worth the time to make them yourself.

I generally make the motor mount out of 1.5" DOM and use urethane Jeep spring eye bushings for the compliance part of the mount.

Here's a link to a kit that's similar. GM LS Motor Mounts by Liquid Iron Industries LS1 LS2

I don't have a high amp MIG welder to weld the mounts to the frame, so I prefer to make a cross member on the bench with the TIG to support the motor mounts that bolts to the frame.

My engine support to get the engine in and out isn't as sophisticated as Evan's in the previous post. Since I'm almost always doing this by myself, I bought one of these from HF so I can tilt the motor as it goes in without any help

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-60659.html

I bolt the chain to the holes in the front of the heads that normally are used to mount the accessories.

6. coilover

coilover Member

Hey,
    If it gets the job done it's a good tool. We are usually putting engines into places never meant for them and found that it they are hanging by a single chain/bracket that allows them to be angled/tilted/rolled/twisted without binding it makes things easier. This and guide pins are the hallowed ground of engine stabbing.

7. 53mess

53mess Member

thanks guys been off a few days hip and back problems. But also came across a 49 5 window that i bought and been trying to get it all home

Zig likes this.
  8. Zig

Zig Member

Hope you're over your back/hip issues by now.
    You <know> you can't say you bought a '49 and NOT post pictures of it, right? ;)

9. 53mess

53mess Member

As soon as I get it home been raining here

Zig likes this.
  10. 53mess

53mess Member

11. 53mess

53mess Member

IMG_0177.JPG IMG_0176.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

Attached Files:

12. coilover

coilover Member

Thought I'd check in on your project. Ran across a few pics from a couple years ago that may have some helpful tips.
    1 Tidy mounting of computer/electronics
    IMG_4464.JPG

2 Air inlet tube and p/s reservoir
    IMG_4466.JPG

3 Factory column and shifter
    IMG_4467.JPG

4 Main wire harness through firewall
    IMG_4468.JPG