Parking brake pivot bar 58 Chevy Fleetside short

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Dan Lambert, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Hello again. While I was reinstalling my parking brake lever I noticed that the pivot bar that it connects to in the engine bay was tilted. When I went to straighten it back to vertical I saw that it was loose on the anchor pin that holds it to a bracket on the frame. When I wiggled it by hand it came completely off of the pin.

Does anyone know how these parts are originally connected to each other? My guess was that they were splined to prevent them from slipping when pulling the parking brake, but the pin shows no indication of a spline now. I saw a small indication that they could have been lightly welded together, but it wasn't very clear.

Thanks for any input!

Dan

2. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Well I pulled the parts out and cleaned them up last night. There didn't appear to be a spline, only a broken weld on the outside of the pivot bar. No broken steel so I'm just having the weld rebuilt at a metal shop. Will post some images in a bit.

3. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Here are photos of the separated pivot bar and pin. Should have the repaired part by this afternoon!

20170724_212847.jpg 20170724_212931.jpg

4. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Here's some shots of the repaired pivot bar.

20170726_135032.jpg 20170726_135057.jpg