issues with 65 chevy impala transmission

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by jln46222, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jln46222

jln46222 Member

I have a 65 chevy impala with a powerglide transmission. some years ago I had it rebuilt by a shop. This was in 1993. I drove the car on occasion. Most of the time its in the garage. For some time for no reason it leaks transmission fluid all ove the floor. I changed the pan gasket and a couple of months later a puddle on the floor.

The shop claimed they rebuilt it and charged 150.00. 9 months later went back to the shop. He was out of business. So maybe he did nothing.
    By the way, I had it rebuilt because it would leak for no reason not from the pan. The transmission worked fine.

So I never fixed the problem.

I have two questions:

Please give me ideas as to where it may be leaking?

2. I have to put fluid in this transmission. What brand and type should I use?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

2. federale

federale Member

Re:Leak

The culprit is most likely the front seal. No other way to repair it except to pull the trans. If you are lucky,it may be the rear seal,in which case you only need to pull the driveshaft. Refill it with type A fluid.

3. Coley

Coley Member

4. Coley

Coley Member

Most all Powerglides leak down after a while of setting without being used. The converter leaks down and overfills the pan and can come out the dipstick tube. The real culprit is the bore of the valve body where the input shaft is sealed with a cast iron\seal ring.
    We used to rebore/sleeve the valve body, but don't know if it is still done or not. The worst were up to 1962 cast iron glides. Classic Chevy used to offer a one-way valve for the cooler lines, but it didn't help.