hi beam indicator and continuity check on headlamps

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, Sep 3, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

Ok high beam indicator on constantly and lights work properly. dimmer switch causes lights to brighten and dim. I am confused on how dual filament bulbs work.

I get there is ground, I assume shared by two filaments, and power to each filament. When I do continuity check on bulbs and harness to bulbs I get 0 ohms on any two pins as, if they are all shorted but light works??? If shorted there is power all the time (with switch on) so that is why hi beam indicator is lit. What am I missing? Denis

2. federale

federale Member

For a quick fix, isolate the high beam wire to the headlights and splice your indicator wire into it.

3. denisf

denisf Member

Ok more info.

Measuring voltage at terminal board I would expect 12v on one and 0 v on the other terminal. I get 12 and 5, when I hit dimmer switch the voltages swap? SO somehow picking up 5 volts on hi beam side when high beams are off, which is why indicator is on. Thoughts? Denis

4. denisf

denisf Member

Ok think I got it. I made a couplke of errors. The high beam indicator bulb/circuit was in cigarette lighter socket. I also was detecting millivolts not volts. The circuit works!