All in a days work

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Sep 17, 2017.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Yesterday the guys pulled the front clip on a 52 and then the 350/Turbo 400 out. Put new rear sump pan on the LS engine, motor mount adapters, and mounted the engine and 4L80E in the chassis. Now with exhaust, computer, engine and trans harness and it's time to go home. I told them using a whole day for the swap seemed a little slow so they told me they worked slower on week ends. Note the firewall clearance, the exhaust clearance and the steering shaft clearance. Zero mods to be done anywhere---a natural. Takes my nephew about 45 minutes to wire in the harnesses. Also note the lower radiator hose neck is at a bad angle for an AD radiator so a straight ahead Olds one takes care of the problem. It's the 6.2 430hp LS not the mega horse one.

IMG_4363.JPG IMG_4366.JPG IMG_4367.JPG IMG_4368.JPG IMG_4369.JPG

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Just the 430hp one... a quick look says low-elevens at 120-ish in the quarter mile, assuming a 3,500 truck with driver, IF (there's ALWAYS an IF) you can get the truck to hook up. With the usual two-thirds/one-third front/rear weight bias, it isn't going to be easy. Fun, but not easy.

Recently a street-rod guy shared his recipe with me:
    1. put as much tire as you possibly can out back
    2. build the motor until you run out of back tire
    3. no need to go any further!

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Evan,
    I notice your men have those valve cover mounted coils loose in the pictures. I assume they are re-locating them somewhere hidden. Do they mount them on the inner fenders, or, where?

Mike, as I'm sure you are well aware, one could also wire up electronic traction control. Not as much fun, but, effective.
    Of course, there is a requirement to be able to switch it off, for those "stop-light situations..."
    Also, cantilever traction bars, and, an aggressive limited-slip, unit, of course.
    Steve.

4. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

aggressive limited slip ..why not a 4:56 posi- traction spooled.. Just being a malcontent.

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Long time no hear! I have had aggressive posi's before, oh how I remember the chatter on low-speed corners. Penny has a Tru-Trac on her list for just that reason. No clutches, no chatter, no special little bottle of posi-additive. Just traction.

6. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Mike,
    This spring and summer has been an obstacle course, for me. And time keeps marching on.
    There are modern options besides posi units. Eaton makes a electronic locker. Flip a switch and it's a spool. Flip it back, and it's a open diff.
    I prefer, ARB, for off road use but it requires on board air.
    The lightweight rear of our old pickups would still be the problem. The "truck pulling" guys, here in Indiana, add weight to their pickups, over the axles to help gain an advantage.

Steve.

7. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

looks like I derailed coilover s post. your installation looks great keep us posted.

8. coilover

coilover Member

Steve.
    The coils are being bolted back on in the last picture. We lay them aside to make sure the engine lift bracket and chains don't ding them---damage WE pay for.