1950 Suburban-Carryall

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by Foxtruck, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Foxtruck

Foxtruck Member

Howdy Guys--I just rescued an old '50 model from a junkyard in Malvern, Arkansas. This is the Model 3116 with an upper and lower back door. Do any of you guys have one, or know how many of these things were manufactured? Thanks, Dave

2. 78subgeorge

78subgeorge Member

> Howdy Guys--I just rescued an old '50 model from a
    >junkyard in Malvern, Arkansas. This is the Model 3116 with
    >an upper and lower back door. Do any of you guys have one,
    >or know how many of these things were manufactured? Thanks,
    >Dave

Dunno.
    I slightly remember riding around in one as a small child.

3. k_paluso`

k_paluso` Member

Foxtruck,

New member ... any chance you still have it?

Recently rescued a 1950 model 3116 myself.

Thanks

4. dalescars

dalescars Member

I have a 1950 burb

Dale

5. Sasky

Sasky Member

My dad has a 52 GMC window suburban with a clamshell rear door. I believe this is what they call the upper and lower doors you have. He also has a panel van that was cut up into a hunting buggy and both are for sale. The trucks are in deep south Georgia and have been sitting for many years, but I know someone could bring the 'burb back to life. It has a 6 cylinder and a hydromatic tranny. Send me an email at Sasky@barefoot-soul.com so I can put you in touch with my dad.

Blessings,
    Sasky
    http://www.barefoot-soul.com

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  6. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

burbs

I have a 52 suburban and 54 panel. Seems like you dont see them very often,,theres still some here in the wrecking yards in calif.

7. Trucknut

Trucknut Member

I spent 22 months on a 1951 Sub. I painted the inside and outside and carpeted all through. It had already been converted to a 283 4bbl from a 1964 Chevelle. With an Edelbrock carb on the stock intake, this seems to run out very well. This truck has the all the original seats that were redone by a local upolstery shop. The original bumbers and grill were sent out to be rechromed. I pulled all the old wiring and did a complete rewire in the whole thing. No kit....all from scratch. I put a later style fuse box on the firewall and set up a seperate circuit for everything. The truck has a sky blue body with dark blue fenders. All BC/CC. It was built at the old GMC truck plant in Pontiac, Michigan. Probably with the help of my father who worked there at the time. Pontiac was my home town. For the last 30 years I have lived here in New Mexico. Statistics in regards to how many are made are availble on the internet. Most subs were made for the military and for the government as school buses. The one that I did belonged to my best friend and had been sitting in his backyard for almost thirty years. It has been in six local shows and taken awards in four. He has said many times that it would take more than a million dollars and a baseball bat to get it away from him.

If I can be of any help to any of you with questions, please feel free to email me at jdt40u@yahoo.com. Helping and learning is what sites like these are about.

Chris

8. 1inxs

1inxs Member

I sold my extra set about 6 months ago. I know L & L Auto in Wendell, ID has a body with the clam shell doors currently for sale. I believe they want $2200.00 for the body and a front clip. Good Luck

9. gerry

gerry Member

RE- 1950 suburban

I could not fin the number produced but I can tell you they weigh 3675 lbs and cost $1690. The back doors arealled clam shell or end gates. I have a 1948 suburban with the clam shell doors. Chevy also made suburbans with barn doors.
    Gerry

10. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Gear ratio

I need some help i picked up a 1969 1970 4wheel drive rear end so the stamped numbers on the axle are t d f 0625w4 would like to know what the gear ratios are
    thanks
    robert

11. capev86

capev86 Member

what they historically callled a clamshell is more recently called a tailgate. the side by side doors are called panel doors (aka panel truck, delivery, etc) although my dad and i call them cargo doors. panel doors are much easier for loading cargo or getting into the back with a trailer hitched up. the 73-91 tailgate with the window that rolls down into the bottom half was a very stupid design. thankfully they went back to the old school way with the flip up top half in '92. my dad had a 72 (tailgate), 84 (panel doors) and now has a rusted out '87 that has a very annoying tailgate that has "issues". unfortunately they don't have the reinforcement behind the sheetmetal to support the hinges for the panel doors otherwise my dad would have done a retrofit 10 years ago when he bought the truck. it spent the first 12 years in texas, not that you can tell that now.....

12. sweet70beast

sweet70beast Member

I have a 54 Suburban and a 47 Panel, both with barn doors.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  13. oldburbn

oldburbn Member

I have a 1951 Chevrolet suburban with barn doors.I don't think there are any records of how many were made.Some people say the clam shell is more rare than the barn door suburbans or carryall.I have seen more clam shells than barn doors,I don't know the answer.

14. 54 sub

54 sub Member

rear fenders ,@frnt pas,seat,very rear bench

/how you doing ,im trying to get parts for my 54 suberban/carryall,where is wrecking yard located ,in california ,?thank you ,,,

15. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

sub/panel parts

54 SUB::
    I sent you a P.M. regarding parts for your suburban.
    I also have panel truck parts,,and 54 only parts.

16. lodwn50

lodwn50 Member

What kind pf parts do you have for a 47-54 suburbans and panels?

17. tsmouse53

tsmouse53 Member

53 Suburban

I saw in one of your posts about junkyards in CA with suburban parts. Can you let me know where they are I am looking for parts for my 53. Thanks

18. 831george

831george Member

47-53 chevy/gmc suburban

looking for 47-53 clamshell suburban any info call 831-783-4491 or email georgiespalace@yahoo.com

19. 831george

831george Member

suburban

any suburbans for sale???????

20. Alfons zak

Alfons zak Member

I love these trucks have this on and it has navy tag on it, another both with clam shell doors, a panel with barn doors

Attached Files: