headlamp switch headlamp terminal no power

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, Aug 24, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

Ok last issue with rewire is headlights. Can I move the headlamp connector to the taillamp terminal since i know it works? Denis

2. denisf

denisf Member

Ok so I tried moving headlamp to park lamp terminal alone, and lights work, both high beam and low beam. I do notice the high beam indicator is always on? I am not confident in wiring the dimmer switch, diagram shows type 1 and type 2. How do you tell?

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I use the standard gm surface mount foot stomp switch. 3 terminals. I'll have to go look at one to remember which wire goes where.

4. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks I figured it out. One last step needed to replace the switch, one terminal was dead and one was loose shorting to another. Denis

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Moving the headlight wire to the tail light terminal is a bad idea. Headlight terminal on the switch is protected by a built-in self resetting circuit breaker while tail light terminal depends on a down stream fuse that only provides protection for the tail lights.

6. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks I bought anew switch old one had multiple problem.s. I have one remaining issue hi low beam dimmer switch works but hi beam indicator on all the time. Denis

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Where is the wire for the high beam indicator attached? Mine is attached to the high beam wire at the dimmer switch.

8. denisf

denisf Member

So I used the harness from sponsor. I am pretty sure it is to dimmer. My theory is there were 5 or 6 light bulb socks for gauges and maybe I have guage light in that hole.

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Does the high beam indicator come on when the headlight switch is just pulled to the first stop (parking lights)? If so, you are correct.

10. denisf

denisf Member

Correct it comes on right away and dimmer switch has no affect.

I am pretty happy that is my last known issue. Actually I only had about 5 issues and two were related to bad switch.

Highly recommend the harness from our sponsor. Denis

11. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

Denisf, did you use the stock style replacement dimmer switch from our host (part # 53-211) ? If so, how is it supposed to be wired in? I "assume" the center post with the two rivets is power in but am unsure of high and low beem (right and left post).

Tim

12. denisf

denisf Member

Ti I don't have my notes here in Florida Below is a pic. The headlights are feed from the dimmer switch, so you need power to the dimmer switch. then when you step on the switch it routes power to hi or low beam filament.

Hope this helps. Denis
    lightswitch.jpg

13. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

I understand that part. The part that I'm unsure about is the replacement dimmer switch from our host. It isn't marked in any way as to the pole connections. Power, High and Low beams.

Thanks
    Tim

14. denisf

denisf Member

oh I did not get a new one. the wiring diagram had diagrams of switches on the back to determine tye, there is a type 1 and 2. I bet if you call them they can tell your which post is which.

15. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call them. They are closed today..
    I am trying to button up the firewall today. I'll just move on to the dash and go back to the firewall after I talk to them.

Tim

16. denisf

denisf Member

Tim My memory (shaky) is there was one long terminal on the back of the switch and that was power and hi low the others. Denis

17. sleepindawg

sleepindawg Member

You are correct, that's how the original dimmer switch is laid out.