235 vs 265

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

I know a guy who has a 56 Chevy car with a 265 engine and a 350 transmission
    Question is is it worth the swap to take out my 235 with 3 on the tree with overdrive 3:73 rear end gears to put in a 265 engine
    This would be my 52 Chevy truck I’m referring to possible swap
    Thanks need all input

2. coilover

coilover Member

There will be a lot to go along with the swap besides the engines. Exhaust: $200-$400, rear end swap out (3.73 too deep for non od Turbo 350): $500 minimum, maybe a radiator: $200, Some type of shifter or cut column and use low/reverse of your 3sp shift, drive shaft yoke unless your od unit is a late model one $50, V8 front mounts and cross member $100, rear trans mount $50, you probably already have 12v, You can make a temp sender hole in the intake to use 52 sender, fab or buy after market accelerator pedal and linkage, and probably 2 weeks of hard work. Torch/plasma, welder, drill press all are a plus in your favor. Something I would do but be aware of that it is not a weekend project. Good luck.

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Thanks for input Evan
    Looks like 235 it is for now maybe cheaper to put some 3:08 gears in rearend than v8 swap
    No kidding on exhaust imagine v8 with 12 inch glass packs

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

IIRC you're local to So. Cal. and have been slowly modifying your rig, lots and lots of know - how and cheap parts to do this, I think from reading your posts over the years, that you might like it .

Of course, it butchers the truck so forget ever going back, no one but me ever does that and I swear a lot .

Maybe get a ride / test drive in some other V8 slushbox equipped AD and then make up your mind ? .

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Glad to see you post Nate it been awhile
    I was offered an engine so I started my research on this due to fact I know nothing about a 265 engine
    But as much as I entertain the idea of a v8 I can't bare the loss of the 235 love the way they look not to mention the way they sound so for now it's 235 and consentrate on getting it back on the road.
    Again Nate glad to see you post
    Happy thanksgiving to all
    Robert

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

[​IMG]O.K. Robert ;

I can't tell you how pleased I am that you prefer the 235 .

I'm still out there, I think all know I nearly killed my self falling asleep riding my Moto on 6.26.17, I'm now out of the wheel chair but walk like Charlie Chaplin and can't hold a fork/pen/screwdriver etc. just yet .

I'd grab that 265 and pour new cheap oil in all the cylinders then re install the spark plugs and bag it, keep it off the floor (wood or whatever) as 265's were in fact very good little engines and most were thrown away over the years as good used , rebuilt or even new 283's and 350's were the same price .

Someone will want it one day, maybe you'll find a '55 two door sedan or whatever, it'll make good trading materiel too as long as it's not rusted solid .

7. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

"falling asleep riding my moto!"
    OMG Nate, I'm glad you're still with us.
    Sadly I decided to sell my H-D moto just last month as my old knees and bones were warning me...

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yeah well ;

So I'm doubly stupid :

#1 : I think riding a Motocycle is a good idea in general (you'd think I learned my lesson in 1976 when a bus in Guatemala ran me off the mountain on my 1937EL KnuckleHead, right ?)

#2 : I have no one to blame as I chose to ride and apparently six hours and 320 + miles makes an old crippled fool tired......

I still have it's remains but it's well and truly dead .

Luckily I have more old Motos under tarps in my back yard and I hope to try riding in 2018.....