My Hat's Off To The Folks That Programmed This Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Questions & Suggestions' started by Lakeroadster, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I've used Photobucket as a hosting site for years. Prior to that I used Webshots... they changed their rules to not allow sharing and thus I had to re-do all my build threads due to broken photo links.

Well now Photobucket is blackmailing it's paying customers, stating that it will now cost $400 per year to share photo's. I was previously paying $20 per year.

Twice bitten thrice shy. I had a huge Barn Build thread over at The Garage Journal. The Photobucket ransom wiped out every photo so I deleted all the build threads.

But not here. Something different about the programming here. All the build threads I've penned here are still good to go.

Thanks.

John

Nick likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, unfortunately the Photobucket change broke a lot of useful threads across the internet. But fortunately here, thanks to work by the makers of our forum software XenForo, we're a bit resistant to things like that since our forum can hold onto externally-hosted images that are in posts and automatically start serving them itself in case the original source goes away. That's a benefit we gained from the upgrade a couple of years ago.

Most of the images in @ol' chebby's how-to threads went away regardless for some reason, but luckily I was able to manually restore them (since the images on Photobucket aren't gone entirely)--it just took a bit of work.

Another thing: we provide the option to host images here for FREE to be used in Classic Parts Talk posts via the Upload a File button near text box when writing a post! No need to rely on an external host!

50 Chevy LS3 and Lakeroadster like this.
  3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Well that's interesting. Some folks have gotten a tongue lashing over at The Garage Journal for not picking a new photo site and re-attaching photo's. For me I'm guessing that would be 500 photo's for my barn build thread to stay intact. I never knew if that site had used different software, such as XenForo, that it would have likely ensured integrity of existing threads.

If I'm going to rebuild my thread... I'll simply update my barn build here in the garage section.

Thanks for the explanation Nick.

Is there a way here to get the large full size pictures, instead of the attachment thumbnails... without using an outside photo hosting site?

John

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Hey, John, you can upload a file, here and either leave it a thumbnail, or opt for jumbo size.
    Here... I'll give it a whirl... a cool Poncho, mini sized.

100_5188.JPG

And, my brother's Challenger, super sized.
    100_4881.JPG

5. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Oh yeah. This too. I used to use Flickr, as a hosting site. It was free. Problem is, it belongs to Yahoo, and they get hacked about every other week. To the tune of millions of users.
    Also, I never liked the fact they let people upload anything. And, I mean ANYTHING, to that site. I know, there are filters, but, they never seemed to catch everything.

I'm surprised a forum as big as Garage Journal, doesn't remedy this for everyone.

I agree, these guys here are fantastic. So, why not just put a link in you thread over there, so the guys will be automatically jumped over here. Maybe then we could breathe some new life into this forum.
    Wait a minute... I don't want SOME of those guys here... And, I hate crowds... :(

Steve.

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

So... how did you do the large photo? Edjufacate me.

7. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

OK. Right now, I'm working with a big-ol' desktop office style computer. All my pictures are loaded in to it. I don't think that matters, though.
    So, I want to post a pic, I hit the "upload a file" button, and select something I want to share. Click to open the file or picture. Then a status bar shows up. Then I just select, full image.
    So, bang... it's big. A Kentucky Coal Bucket...even the brand you like....:D
    100_4006.JPG

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Pole Barn Stairway Sheet 1 of 2 Rev 1 No Name.jpg

Eazy Peezy Japaneezy

Thanks Steve

9. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Wow..what an awesome rig. If it was black... it would be perfect.

Wonder how well the CB reception is with the spears?

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

John,
    Center loaded CB antennas, are much better than fiberglass, stick type, antennas. The angled forward mounting is an attempt at sparing them from tree limbs along the road.
    Lots of tree limbs where I took this pic. Extreme eastern Kentucky, near the West Virginia, line.
    Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.