How to assemble front fenders

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ol' chebby, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Assemble headlight bucket. Buckets have been blasted, primed and painted.
    First pull the grommet through the hole in the back.
    DSCN0254.jpg

Now pull the new plug wires through...
    DSCN0257.jpg

Install bulb with ring,
    DSCN0258.jpg

Install rubber gasket around bezel.
    DSCN0263.jpg

and screw into fender.

Inner fenderwell anti rattle strip. I put some weatherstrip cement on to hold it into place. This is the cardboard strip.
    DSCN0265.jpg

This is the foam strip.Glue on..
    DSCN0264.jpg

Have someone hold the panel for you and bolt together. Now install the fender support. I also put the cloth weatherstrip over the headlight wires.
    DSCN0266.jpg

And here is the finished product....do it again for the other side.
    DSCN0267.jpg

2. Indy225

Indy225 Member

Fender Installation

Can the fenders be installed after the inner liners are installed? I had the truck all wired and ran the motor, but we installed all the inner liner panels to hang the wires on. Getting ready to install the finished pieces on motor as the Manifolds are getting ceramic coated. I just don't get why the venders replacement parts just don't fit right. I am on my 4th stainless steel center hood strip, and it still does not fit right! Fed up with this crap as the part is $80 bucks, and they still can't get the part right. I have way too much $ tied up into this project, because i am a stubborn Dago, dug in, and will see this through to the end. I am thinking I am sticking to snowmobiling, as you can just just bolt on the stuff you tear up:)

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I haven't ever had a problem with the center strip stainless, my issue has been gauges.

Manufacturers build a part to fit the broader range of vehicles. Many trucks may be slightly different from each factory due to jig set up. On top of that, these trucks have spent 60+ years bouncing and jiggling down awful farm roads and dirt trails, potholes, accidents, poor or unskilled repairs, etc. After all this life, it is a wonder anything fits. Even if you found a perfect NOS fender, I'm shure there would still be some fitting required.

4. Mike Follis

Mike Follis Member

Hello to all,
    Can anyone advise,to where a half way decent 1948 GMC, or any year, that will interchange, can be found?
    Thank you for any help you can give!
    Email: mikeolddog1@yahoo.com,
    Or Text.