1952 Chevy 1/2 Ton Wheel Size

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Stephen Swan, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Stephen Swan

Stephen Swan Member

Basically, everywhere I look, to include the original owners manual I got from the original owner of my 1952 1/2 ton...is summarizes by this from one of the parts sites: wheels were 16 inches. Some 1947-59 GM 1/2 tons are equipped with early 15 inch artillery 3/4 ton wheels even though they were not placed on factory trucks after 1945.

When I got the truck, from the original owner, the original wheels came with it. I have looked for specific info on how to measure the wheel (thinking variance in measuring over the years) and find nothing I can hang my hat on. Not even what looks like a serious study of the topic in the UK.

So, I am not sure how to measure correctly. The reputable tire dealer I go to says its a 15 inch wheel.

See attached......how do I confirm?

Attached Files:

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

OK, here we go...
    First of all, Welcome aboard Stephen!
    Second, we'll need pictures of the rest of your ride (or wait a little, and Zig will ask again), and your location (you might live in the same town as one of us!).

And now, onto the wheel and tire question. The bead of the wheel will sit at (by your yardstick) 2-1/2 inches, and 18-1/2 inches. My math says you need a 16. I can't see where any math could get you to a 15.

Just to make sure I wasn't making all of this up, I went out to the barn and snapped a picture of Penny's rolling stock. See attached:
    20-inch_example.jpg

And there it is, a 21-inch wheel, with a 20" tire installed. Might be time for a new tire guy.
    Just my .02

3. Stephen Swan

Stephen Swan Member

Sorry, I must not have stated my question correctly. I have a 1952 1/2 ton. Not a 1 and 1/2 ton or larger. The wheel and its size is way out of spec for a 1/2 ton. I am trying to find info on the correct way to measure a wheel, by itself.

4. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Inside lip, to inside lip. A 15 inch wheel will measure 14 1/2"
    A 16 inch wheel will measure 15 1/2".
    On your picture , where your yardstick is at 1 3/4", start at that point and measure straight across.
    The wheel size cant be larger than the tire.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Stephen,
    The wheel diameter is larger then the stated tire size, as the tire sits "in" the rim. If you have an unmounted tire around, measure the I.D. It should spec at (or very close to) the given tire diameter. Now measure a known rim (ideally of the same size as the tire you just measured). It will be larger.

My example was of the 20" wheel/tire combo I have put together for my (1953 half-ton) pickup- just to prove a point.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. Zig

Zig Member

Mike-you need to mist that tire with “Wet Look” tire spray