Hello I need help with a vin

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Big Rob JR, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Big Rob JR

Big Rob JR Member

I have a 1955 chevy pick up with a vin #V1121UPJCLF124272. Would like to some help to decode this to figure out engine size, model and so far. I have figure that it originally came with the 275 cubic in V8. I might be wrong. Please help.

2. Dan Lambert

Dan Lambert Member

Are you certain you have the correct numbers? This site doesn't recognize the number, other than it being built in Flint, MI. Stovebolt Page -- the VIN Buster

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

And there weren't and 275 cubic inch V8s in '55.

4. Larry Dickstein

Larry Dickstein Member

Your VIN is a 17 digit number. The '55 Chevrolets had the old system that was not consistent with much of anything else. The 55's had either a 10 or 11 digit number.

I would guess that your 17 digit VIN ( a system started in 1980) is a number assigned by some state department of revenue. These are usually assigned to a kit car, a car built from various parts, etc.

5. coilover

coilover Member

If it's a 55 V8 the oil filter will be on top of the engine on a bracket held by the thermostat housing bolts. The breather tube at the rear of the engine will run through the cast iron block, not outside down the back. The belt pulley on the harmonic balancer will be riveted on---not bolted. The term VIN did not exist till 1965, before that it is a serial number. From 1955 to the late 60's V8's were identified by the last two LETTERS in the serial number. Later engines used the last three letters. If original exhaust manifolds they will be the log type with flat two bolt flanges for the exhaust pipe to bolt to and a cast on ear with holes for a generator bracket on the left one. The distributor will be cast iron and have a curved lube tube with a spring loaded flip cap. Give us the last two letters on the pad in front of the right cylinder head and we will give you the engine specs. 265's were used in 55 & 56 cars and 55-57 pickups.