Only way is up!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf Member

Paul, I do stick around and pop my head in every now and again. I miss you guys. :) Here is a few fun stories. The guy that bought my truck that lives in upstate new york stopped by a few sunday afternoons ago and we spend an hour or so chatting. He has done pretty much all the rest of the things I wanted to do to the truck.

He found an original GMC tailgate with the same blue patina as mine. Looks like it has been on the truck forever. He had all the dents taken out from a PDR guy, so no damage to that patina look. He did some maint items. The big item is he put in an oak bed with the Stainless steel strips. Man that has too look awesome.

Most importantly he drives the truck. He doesn't in the winter as it gets treated royally and sits in a nice garage. But after the salt up there he drives it all over. Loves the truck! That makes me happy.

Another fun story, since we had some nice rains lately that washed all the salt off the roads they put down for the big ice storm that never happened, we took the old car out for a few hours sunday. Makes me happy to get the whole family in and go for a cruise. We had a blast!

Anyways just some fun stories.

I enjoy reading your updates and the progress you have made on the GMC. Keep it up. And man when you said you were going 60MPH the other day that made me think you are crazy, then I remember you had the colorado rear end;) My old 5.14's would handle 60:)

2. Zig

Zig Member

Still bedless, but man-oh-man, have I loved driving this around!
    I put one of my old bedsides on the saw horses. Any spare time I can work in, my drill and 3M wheel will be back in action.
    Still waiting on that hedge wood bed that is to be locally milled for me.
    Here's to driving an old AD around town. Daily as can be. #cool#

upload_2017-11-4_18-41-52.png

Lakeroadster likes this.
  3. Zig

Zig Member

Well, how’s this for progress?
    I’ve had problems with logging into here, but with Nick’s help, I’M BACK!!! (and using my cell phone- yup, technology got me.)
    Sorry, I just had to post another front view just for the heck of it.

Attached Files:

4. Zig

Zig Member

I just wanted to thank you all again for all the help and guidance over the years. You have no idea how much I love driving this truck around!
    BTW, the bed wood is local cut hedge wood, just like I wanted! I cut and groves it then put a thick coat of WATCO Teak Oil on it and then screwed it down (on the edge area that will be covered by the metal strips) to some treated decking strips that I then fastened to the frame.
    I just got my Classic Parts catalog, so soon I can order some more parts! Heck, I might have a finished bed on this by next year!

5. coilover

coilover Member

Fords in the 30's had a neat little "quarter fender" that fastened to the underside of a stake bed truck. They kept the muck off the back of the cab on nasty days. Fraid you'd have to raise the bed a couple inches to use them but it's a thought.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Paul doesn't need to worry about mud and wet Evan. No driving on nasty days. ;)

7. Zig

Zig Member

True, Bill.
    Or cold days as I STILL don’t have door glass in OR a heater that works.
    But if I did, I would drive it any time.
    I’m looking forward to putting that 12 volt wiper motor to work!

8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Nice to see ONE of us is making some headway Zig. Been a year and a half for you! Darn how life gets in the way.

9. Zig

Zig Member

Don’t get down, Mike-I saw a photo of your wheel you posted on another thread. That’s progress right? #rolleyes#

10. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Wow, Zig, that is some golden colored hedgewood ya got there.
    This, also... If you get some quarter fenders to hang on it, as Evan, suggested, you will also need a pair of mud flaps. If you get the mud flaps, I will donate a pair of chrome naked sitting ladys for them.
    [​IMG]

Just want to do my part...
    Steve.

Zig likes this.
  11. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks Steve!
    Those would definitely set things off!
    ...like my wife... #rolleyes#

12. Zig

Zig Member

The hedge turned out just like I hoped it would. It’s also tough as nails, so it should last a while.
    I just can’t wait to surround it with the metal part of the bed!

13. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Any new news, Zig? PICTURES?
    We will even settle for pics of you painting the house...
    Maybe with the "ol Jimmy" sitting in the background...

Steve.

14. Zig

Zig Member

5F747011-CC1F-47F4-BA8E-1FAF426E56EC.jpeg BE1C8394-BC70-4A12-8078-FA85CDE5B16F.jpeg 4ED6E47E-5F5A-4473-A2D4-B946FB6AE841.jpeg
    Sorry Steve-
    It looks like another year of not much, for the truck.
    Painting the house is job one and I haven’t even had a rainy day get in my way, except once.
    Photos? My wife asked me if I could build her some planter boxes. She needed 4 for out front of the historic hotel she is the director of. Well, her board members liked them so much, they decided they needed 4 more. #rolleyes#
    So the other photos are before and after of a bathroom window that was installed by the previous owner. The new window was shorter than the old one, so they had just put a piece of plywood in where siding should have been. Thankfully I had some leftover lap siding that I could use to patch in.
    (Good time to add insulation as well. Might not be so drafty in the winter now. #smile#
    I gotta say, I just LOVE driving my truck around!!!
    I don’t worry about car shows anymore because every time I hit the road in that, it’s a show. #cool#
    Speaking of which, it’s time to go take it for a short spin and put it to bed for the night.
    How the heck is your truck doing?!
    Photos??? #biggrin#

15. Zig

Zig Member

F022C929-AE7A-4E44-9D7F-1A4BBCDB096E.jpeg Here’s the final photo of that bathroom window area and the fish scale above.
    I had to build scaffolding because I *hate* heights!
    I love that our house is 110 years old.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  16. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig,
    I love the fish scales! They sure don't build them like they used to, nowadays its just vinyl siding, no class at all. Your house is circa 1908, the one we are reproducing is from 1902.

17. Zig

Zig Member

Awesome, Mike!
    I forget- were you going with balloon framework or platform?
    This, of course is balloon with full 1x12 sheathing underneath the lap siding.
    I will never forget seeing some of these 1x12s behind the felt paper they used as a moisture barrier.
    Not a knot in any of the boards I looked at, and all fastened with cut nails-
    I can only imagine what it was like to build this house. They had stained it a mustard yellow color with cream colored trim. It had maroon and aqua accents.
    Good luck with your creation! I look forward to seeing many a photo of your progress!

18. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Well... we officially broke ground... today!
    We have over 100 timbers cut for the new barn already, with more beams on order, and a sawyer lined up to cut more timber out of (standing) pines on the lot. The barn is twice the size of the house (of course), and will house all our horses (the under-hood kind). The house will be built from SIP's (Structural Insulated Panels) manufactured by a world-class manufacturer an hour away from us.

Penny is sleeping peacefully. I haven't forgotten her. Don't worry.

19. Zig

Zig Member

Well that’s one way to do it.
    If you need any reproduction windows, doors, or molding, I have a buddy of mine in Birchrunville that specializes in that sort of thing.
    He’s been after it for a long time and I highly recommend him!
    Hakun Wood Working
    1180 Hollow Road
    Birchrunville, PA 19421

Phone: (610) 595-4335

20. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Thanks Zig, I'll keep him in mind. We took almost 200 photographs of the home we are reproducing- right down to molding details and specific trim (not unlike taking pictures of the really nice AD at the car show for reference). We have around 5,000 board feet of Red Oak that is ready to become flooring and millwork for the project. As soon as the barn has a roof on it, we can mill the Oak and store the finished product indoors.

50 Chevy LS3 and Zig like this.