Selling the 1954 Chevy 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by steve l, Apr 21, 2018.

1. steve l

steve l Member

Hey all it has been a while since I have posted anything in the forum. I think I have come to terms that I probably should sell my 54 3100. The problem I have is I am in the middle of the restoration. Engine has been completely professionally rebuilt and repainted, new clutch, t5 transmission swap done, gmc canyon rear end secured for the back. Engine, tranny etc has all been remounted back onto the frame. The front end has been all put back together with disc brakes. The frame was blasted and has been powder coated. The problem is the body is completely off of the frame however it all has been blasted as well and the rust repair done. I have bought any necessary replacement body parts and have also bought just about every part necessary to put it back together or rebuild it one way or the other. The questions is, what is the best way to get rid of it at this point? Sell it off part by part, sell everything as a package to someone who is willing to see it through to the end? In fairness of full disclosure I am not opposed to paying to have the restoration finished but I know I don't have the time to make it happen but it doesn't seem there is anyone in southern CA that I can take it to and make that happen where they would coordinate everything that needs to happen to finish it.

I will try to post some pictures in a bit as to where it is currently at.

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

If you are absolutely sure you want to sell, I would imagine selling the whole thing as a package would be your best bet.
    Also important - do you have clear title?

3. Zig

Zig Member

If you have it that far along with all the parts and a rebuilt motor, it seems like all you need to do is put it back together. That’s just a little time and not much money.
    I agree though. Sell it as a package deal.
    There are some sights on Facebook for trucks like ours. Free postings to the right audience.

4. e015475

e015475 Member

There is a popular website for selling project cars of all types called 'Bringatrailer.com'

You might try googling it and see what you think.

My past experience however, is that completed, or at least running/driving projects will be easier to sell and fetch more money

5. steve l

steve l Member

Thanks everyone for the good advice. and the sites to try. I do have a clear title for it. It is currently on non-op with the CA DMV. I agree that it wouldn't take much time to put it all together at this point and it does go together quickly. I just don't have the time to dedicate to it and with almost all of my kids at teenager age and one about ready to start college every weekend seems to be taken up with something with no time for the truck.

6. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Is it in the way, or do you *really* need the money?
    Won't hurt it to sit, especially if it's inside,
    and when the noise of those kids is gone,
    you're going to need something to do. :)

7. steve l

steve l Member

I don't need the money. I know I will take a bath on it and fully anticipate that. I think more than anything it is the space it is taking up in the garage which could be used for other things. All of the equipment that I have bought over the years that also takes up a lot of room. It would be nice to get the garage back. You are right that the kids will be gone one day. I guess I just don't like the idea of being a slave to the project and I feel that is what I am right now. If I could find someone here local that I could just take it to and take it from here, that would work for me too. I would love to see a fully assembled 54 Chevy in my garage. It is seeing the mostly disassembled Chevy in the garage that wears on me:(

8. e015475

e015475 Member

This is just my experience, so, for what it's worth, here goes.............

I had a project car - it was all painted, the interior in, new wheels and tires. But it had a bad engine, and I had two kids in college and basically no time to work on it, so I decided to sell it.

I put it on ebay and it bid up to about $6500 with the bad motor and didn't meet the reserve. Included in the sale was a fresh machined block, new pistons, bearings, cam - everything needed to set the motor right. I was way upside down on what I had into the project and since it didn't meet the reserve I'd set, it was a 'no sale'

I decided to push my other projects aside and build a new motor for the project car, and after it was in, I relisted it on ebay. It cost me a few hundred bucks for parts I didn't anticipate needing. I relisted it on ebay and got $17K for it. That was a $10k bump for about 80 hours of labor to build, install and troubleshoot the new motor.

The 'lesson learned' I got out of this was that I'd limited my market pretty severely by assuming everybody would want a project car where all they had to to was assemble the engine and that limited what I could get for it. Once I got it running and driving ok, the appeal to the market was much broader and I got a price I wasn't anticipating. If I'd of sold it for $9k I'k of cleared my costs (but never labor) and been happy as a clam, but it brought $17k

I think everybody thinks they can 'fix-up' a running/driving car to some acceptable level, but finding somebody who can see the potential in a pile of parts and is willing to pay for them is much more difficult

YMMV

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Then there's plan "B".

Buy a 20' shipping container, have it delivered to your house. Set it beside the garage, and load all of the parts- every one including labeled bags of nuts/bolts, sketches of stuff you had planned, ALL of it. Shut the doors, padlock all 4 handles, and walk away. It will be there when you are ready to get back to it.

Zig likes this.
  10. coilover

coilover Member

PM me with your contact information and try to come up with an asking price. We have a "For Sale" bulletin board on the shop wall which has sold hundreds of old rides. A lot of people are looking to buy when they walk in the door so it provides a connection between sellers and buyers. NO CHARGE as many times we get the build/ resto/ completion job (no dummies here).

Zig and RidesWithYah like this.