C10 ifs in AD

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Matt_50, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Matt_50

Matt_50 Member

This was one of the sites where I first came across someone mentioning putting the IFS from a c10 pickup under their AD.

Not as much info out there as the mustang 2 stuff. Understandable, with the popularity of the mustang kit and the s10 swaps. I had an 84 c10, so that's what I used. I now have the IFS in, rear axle and the v8 in from the c10 donor.

Problem though, I made a template, but I'm a little off and before I try to adjust it I want to know the best way to set up this steering linkage geometry. I lined up my template holes but both the idler and pitman arm are to high and will hit the frame. I'm not sure whether to pivot downward or move straight down.

Attached Files:

2. coilover

coilover Member

Have done at least a dozen of these but none for 30 years as the width has always been a problem. You took a functioning unit out of a running truck so the ONLY thing that can be causing interference problems are the steering gear box mounting and/or the idler arm mounting.

3. Matt_50

Matt_50 Member

Yea. I think I'm pretty close to where it needs to be, minor adjustments but the linkage is very close to the crossmember. I used a yard stick to see clearance for pitman arm.. But look where my finger is. Very close. Can I pull the linkage towards front of truck?

Attached Files:

4. Matt_50

Matt_50 Member

Coilover, did you install units with a sway bar? Mine didn't have it, but is it something worth finding in a junkyard?

5. coilover

coilover Member

A sway bars function is to force the lower control arm on one side to do the same as the one on the other in order to take the "Rock and Roll" out or the ride. Unless on very choppy roads one isn't necessary and the only AD trucks that had them were panel trucks, probably from the possibility of having high/heavy loads in the cargo area. The anti dive angle built into the front A-frame and control arm (spring angle) prevents a big angle change when braking; not the sway bar. I take it you used a spacer on each side of the 84 cross member and bolted it in? I never had interference problems with one of these units so really can't do a trouble shoot on it but if you used the WHOLE unit from a running, never in a collision truck, then the only changes are where the cross member, steering box, and idler arm are mounted to the AD frame rather than the 84 frame.

6. Matt_50

Matt_50 Member

Yea I used a 1/2 inch spacer on each side. I've looked at a couple of pictures of others who have done this and they moved the linkage forward a bit. And yesterday i got lucky and a friend if my father in law had an 85, so i crawled under, took a bunch of pucs and measurements. Looks like... keep drag link parallel to crossmember, allow room for tie rods to swing up and down. And allow clearance for arms. While trying to keep it all in a natural line with each other best I can.

And yes, non collision truck. I drove it right up until I started gutting it for this truck.

7. Matt_50

Matt_50 Member

I still haven't gotten to my steering geometry. I keep putting it off to do other things.

Anyways, since my last post I've talked to another couple of guys who have done this swap. So far I have 3 different people who mounted their steering stuff, idler arm and gearbox, differently. And two other people who don't have their trucks anymore to give pics. So, their setups differ in how far forward they mounted their stuff or how much they angled them.

If any of you can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it. And if any of you know of anyone who did this I'd like to talk to them. This included anyone who put an AD on a c10 frame too. Links to threads... any help is good.