87 chevy auto to standard swap

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by vortex81, Dec 8, 2003.

1. vortex81

vortex81 Member

i have a 87 chevy r-10 2wd 3 speed auto with od, i also have an 85 chevy 2wd with a 4 speed standard. my plans are to swap the 2 trannys. (putting the standard in the 87 auto) does anyone have any info on where to start and the difficulty level of this project? im 22 yrs old and my dad wants no part i nthe project for the simple fact of puttin a standard in a automatic lol go figure so im kinda on my own for this one. the one thing i found that might make it easier on me is the hydrulic clutch.

2. Frankc

Frankc Member

Your Dad is a smart man. this is one of the times you should pay attention to him. it is not so much that this is a hard job, more like a pain in the a"". You did not say if there is something wrong with the automatic. Even so there are a lot of shift kets out there today. Not many hot roders are using four speed standard transmissions today. the Chevy 350's and 400's are the best units ever installed in our trucks. I would think this over long and hard befor I took this job on. This coming from someone how has done this many times befor.

Frank C;)

3. FI84GMC

FI84GMC Member

I agree with "Frankc" Listen to ole DAD. Todays performance trucks, street rods, off roaders, rock climbers, etc are staying with or going to stout automatics. Your tranny in your 87 should be, if I'm not mistaken, a 700R4. If so this is a great transmission. First gear has a lower ratio than the TH350 and also has the OD. I have a 84 GMC SB 4X4. It came with a 305 4BBL and a 700R. A 350 FI and 700R4 out of a 90 Suburban was installed. What a great combo.

Good luck,

4. 79454HEAVYHALF

79454HEAVYHALF Member

Agree with the others...stick with the Auto tranny. The TH400 is the strongest, and will withstand abuse, or just tons of power, for many years. TH350 isn't bad either..

-Paul