SM 465 Transmission

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by mlcampaign, Mar 22, 2001.

1. mlcampaign

mlcampaign Member

Can anyone tell me what a sm 465 transmission is...is it a 4 speed with a granny gear..and can I put in with my 261 6 cyl? Was the sm465 only for newer 4WD trucks.

2. bwiley

bwiley Member

According to my book the sm465 is a granny 4 speed with syncro in first. The sm420 (which I have in mine) has no first gear syncro. Should fit.

3. mlcampaign

mlcampaign Member

Thanks...I am looking for a sm465 to go into my 1950 1/2 ton to bolt up to my 261 rebuild..

4. bwiley

bwiley Member

The 465 is not a real late model tranny either by the way. It shows it in my 60-70 model year repair book.

The SM 420 is probably a more easily available unit though if you just want a granny 4 sp.

Good luck! Bruce

5. ftyler

ftyler Member

Be sure that this is what you're looking for before you buy one. Here in west metro Atlanta the chevy 4 speed granny with bull low first gear are plentiful in salvage yard.

If you're looking for a useable first gear for daily driving/commuting then this is NOT the tranny for you. First gear ratio is on the order of 7.05-to-1. Unless you're doing some serious mud bogging, cliff climbing or heavy duty pulling or towing, that first gear will be practically useless. And you'll essentially end up with a 3 speed.

6. mlcampaign

mlcampaign Member

Hi

Yes...I have a 4 speed granny now...and I wwant to replce it with a newer quiter 4 spped that bolts up to my 261...your thoughts? 3 speed is ok with me..just so it similar to my stock 4 speed.

MJL

7. raven316

raven316 Member

Where are good places in metro altlanta for 66 Chevy Truck parts? I live in Athens.