Gas pedal

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Have a friend who is putting a V-ate in his AD truck and would like to retain the original gas pedal. Anyone here do that? If so, please give details.

2. coilover

coilover Member

One can retain the pedal but not the linkage as it would have to run through the center of the left head. Cut the rubber female rod socket, that the rod snaps into at the top of the pedal, and trim away with a utility knife or razor blade and buff remaining rubber off with a stiff brush on a bench grinder. Two ways to mount the new linkage bell crank: preferred is to make a plate with an angled tube to go through the angled surface of the firewall indention as this lets the lever be straight that runs down UNDER the top end of the foot feed. The second bend will have to be made AFTER the rod is run through the angled tube. This set up will use all steel rods. Second and easiest method is to use a Chevy pickup bell crank assembly, discard the pedal, and mount the pivot with three screws to a flat area on the firewall. The rod from the pivot to the underside of the pedal will have to be bent to the correct configuration. A cable is then run to the carburetor. IT IS NOT WORTH THE EFFORT. A Ford cable just takes a round hole in the firewall vs the Chevy square one, has an integral return spring built into the cable, and a floating gas pedal so mount angle is not a problem. To each his own.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Thanks Evan. I'll forward the info.

4. e015475

e015475 Member

Evan-

I think I know what you're describing - but a photo would sure help. Can you post one?

At this point on my truck too and would like to retain the look of the original gas pedal too.

Phil

5. Zig

Zig Member

Ken’s going V8?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

My '49 Chevy 3100 series came to me with a Brand 'F' throttle cable, it porked well so I left it in place and never had any troubles that I can recall .