Accelerator Rod

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Jul 29, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Almost getting everything back up in running.. Finally able to turn over the engine, so I hope I can get my truck back up and running.

Anyway, I just put on the Carburetor and notice the Accelerator Rod Linkage is a little odd. Doesn't seem to be what my factory manual describes. I have got the rod connected to the Carb, but now missing the spring so the accelerator pedal would can spring back when depressed.

I think I located the spring I need, and seee that it connects to the engine block clip, however not sure where it would connect on the throttle linkage. Looks like on the forums and diagrams I could locate, there should be a clip on the throttle rod going up to the carb, but it appears I missing one.

I am attaching some photos, and perhaps some can tell me what is going on....??

-James

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Neto84 likes this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You have a home brew throttle rod there .

The vertical one comes with a tab welded to it that has a hole to hook the return spring into ~ your parts illustration shows it clearly .

The 216 horizontal throttle rod is different than the 235 one, I used to have quite a few different versions as the curve is critical to prevent binding where it passes through the toe board .

These are being made new, I don't know who carries them but I see them at the auto parts swap meets .

Part of the solution is to use a fairly weak spring that has the longest coil section possible ~ using a stiff spring always causes sticking because it causes rapid wear in the pivot points .

As long as you have in excess of 60 # compression, the engine can be made to run and run pretty well .

Look for my older posts on proper re awakening of old engines followed by careful tuning ~ these were well designed to be run hard and put away wet so to speak by Farmers who had no skills and less money to spend on tune ups .

Neto84 likes this.