53 Chevy with a lean.....

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Jul 23, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

I have a 5 window 1953 3100 Chevy with a Side Spare tire... has anyone heard of this particular model having a slight lean?

I have heard that because of the spare tire being on the side the weight creates a lean? Anyone heard this before?

I thought it was the suspension going bad and just had it redone, but the lean is still there.. Ever since we had this truck since the 70's it has always at this characteristic , but wonder what is causing it..

2. coilover

coilover Member

Take your spring(s) loose, U-bolts in front, shackle at rear. Use floor jack to set frame level and measure difference in distance between spring and axle (front) and between shackle pin and spring hanger (rear). Level front with shims and rear with custom shackle straps. If a spring place near you have the LOW side re-arched. If you have an extra two grand just getting moldy in your pocket then install coilovers and adjust height on each corner with a spanner wrench. I guess you could put load leveler shocks on the low side and they're cheap and easy---google load leveler shock absorbers.

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

When you say you had the suspension "redone", did that include new leaf springs F & R? Springs sag over time, with load. If you load "heavy stuff" on the driver's side, all the time (because it is more convenient to load/unload), eventually the driver's side springs will sag.

4. doug49

doug49 Member

Been there done that. If you have any leans either way, shim your front axle - leval your truck and then drive your truck. your truck is 65 years old and if it wants to lean so be it!!! Level it and get on with it!!!

5. mockoski

mockoski Member

Mike, yes brand spanking new leaf springs were installed.

And Doug, I agree, just adds a little Character to the vehicle...

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

If you were to strip your rig to the frame and measure the frame's straighness, you'd be shocked .

A lean is fairly normal in these rigs even after fully rebuilding the springs including all news bushings .

FWIW, 're arching' springs is $ wasted .