Any Special Magic to tighten the Fan Belt?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Jul 23, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

I noticed that when I grab the Fan to try to turn the engine, the belt doesn't' move and the fan pulley just spins..

I suspect the belt is loose and needs to be tightened, but not exactly sure how to do this.

Anyone have have a tip?

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. coilover

coilover Member

Is it a generator or alternator? If a generator tighten belt till there is 1.5" of travel or .75 each direction. If an alternator tighten to where plucking the belt gives a "C" sharp.

vwnate1 and Chiro like this.
  3. mockoski

mockoski Member

Thank you sir, yes it is a Generator.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You need to loosen not only the adjuster pinch bolt on the top front ear of the generator but the lower two bolts holding the generator to it's bracket .

Don't forget to re tighten them all ! .

It doesn't need to be very tight .

mockoski likes this.
  5. mockoski

mockoski Member

Thank you Nate..

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

FWIW, you should be able to turn the generator's fan by hand with difficulty ~ if the belt is new and clean enough it might well squeak when you do so .

Too tight will cause generator bearing failure, another thing you can fix at home .
    pushing with your thumb in the center or the longest run of the belt bewtween pulleys should yield a 1/2" deflection .

Remember : the age of the belt has much to do with how much it flexes as does having the same size pulley sheaves on all three pulleys, not a given thing after 50 + years .