235 Engine - Mystery Tube from Valve Cover?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Does anyone recognize what this tube is that comes from the Cover?

Just got my 53 Chevy 31000 Pickup back from the shop and now cleaning up the engine and getting familar with it. Looking through all my manuals, I just don't see any mention of this tube.

I am guessing it might be a vacuum tube, and should be blocked off? But have you guys come across this before?

Best,
    James

Attached Files:

2. 51 chevy pu

51 chevy pu Member

goes to the bottom of the air cleaner

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

Ahhh that makes sense. My vehicle never had one, so I guess it is safe to say I can block that off.

4. Chiro

Chiro Member

Nope. I disagree. That looks like the remains of the hard fuel supply line that goes over the engine by the front of the rocker cover and down towards the fuel pump. A rubber line would then attache form its end to the carburetor, hopefully with an in line fuel filter somewhere in there. The other side of the line may or may not have a fitting on it where it mounts to the fuel pump depending upon who may or may not have hacked it off in the past. The vacuum line is visible as a rubber line lower in the picture going to the exhaust manifold.
    Andy

5. mockoski

mockoski Member

Interesting, but have a look again at the picture and look on top of the cover towards the back (near the firewall). You will see another port that is blocked off by a rubber cap.

I was thinking that the Air Cleaner theory might be correct, and that they these two ports are relate, since one could be the intake, and the other the outake?

When we had this running, that port from the side of the cover was blocked off with tape. The fuel would come straight from the Pump to the carb.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

This is an added on breather tube nipple that had a hose connecting it to the air cleaner .

Used to be very common, not so much these days .

As long as you maintain a VENTED oil filler cap you may delete this nipple and weld it up .

If you want to use a PVC valve, it's a handy place to attach the hose coming from the engine side of the PCV valve .

7. mockoski

mockoski Member

Thanks Nate,
    I actually didn't even consider that the engine had to breath and this is the first time I heard about PVC which I am starting to research.. My father in law had one of those vented caps on, but I recently bought an ordinary cap that is not vented. Not thinking that this old cap was serving a purpose. And hear I thought the cap was to keep the oil from spurting out and to keep all the dirt from entering...
    I will now look for a new Vented Oil cap and get that taken care of before I get her fired up!
    Thanks again, and I owe you a few responses on the other posts, but just getting back into town and catching up!

Best,
    James

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No worries James .

Engine venting is critical for reducing lower engine oil leaks, these engines tend to weep a fair bit no matter what you do .

Consider adding the PCV system back as it lengthens engine life considerably by reducing the corrosive gasses inside .

There are some old posts that cover the 235's PCV system in detail .