Leaking At Fuel Tank at Stem and Shut off Valve

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Aug 6, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Good evening,

Finally making my last connections, installed Fuel tank and inserted stem with Shut off valve underneath truck.

I have been covered with Fuel for the last couple of days wondering what I am doing wrong.

First, I installed the stem and valve without any thread sealant.. Second time I used Loctite Thread Sealant that was designed for Fuel, but I still get a beading of fuel coming down the stem..
    I then tighten the fitting 2 more times passed hand tight and afraid to over tighten the thing, and still get a drip. So what the hell am I missing here?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Same thing happened to me when I replaced tank with a re pop tank in my 52 ,
    I was told the threads are off a bit on the re pop stuff.
    My fix was a radiator shop laid a pool of soider around the stim never had any fuel issues after that.
    Good luck

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

How frustrating.. I would have hoped that the New Tank and the new stem/Valve that I purchased would have been tested to make sure this wouldn't happen.
    I will give them a call and see if they have any suggestions. I could see if I was using the old stem and valve might not line up exactly with the new tank threads, but since it is all new, then it should JUST WORK ! :)

Thanks for sharing!
    James

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You'll find the re pop stuff often has serious defects, why I never suggest using re pop fuel tanks ~ the Chinese ones tend to have or develop, leaks around the pinch welds, this is a serious issue .

Oddly, I tried to GIVE AWAY a nice cherry no rust clean undented California fuel tank for several YEARS before throwing it out .

5. mockoski

mockoski Member

Yeah, I was trying to reuse my old tank, but it was to far gone.. So didn't have to much options where I am and purchased a new one at Classic Parts. Actually surprised it looks and feels like the real McCoy. It has to be something dumb that I am doing. I guess what fun is it if it isn't challenging and your not covered in fuel?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fair enough .

I'm a Journeyman Mechanic so having gasoline run down my arms and into my armpits got old in 1972 or so.....

Plus of course it's a CARCINOGENIC so have fun and freak out in the grease, oil and dirt but BE SAFE ~ .

7. mockoski

mockoski Member

:) It only has to happen once before it gets old..

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Try doing it a few times a month for 40 years......