Progress, however slow... but isn't it about the JOURNEY?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 52wasp, May 30, 2012.

1. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig,
    I knew it was only a matter of time before I would hear from you (although it took longer than I expected).

I can send you a picture of the box of Altman latches I bought from Russ recently... but other than that I have nothing Penny to report. I have way too much going on at the present-but I still think about Penny. Heck, I barely have fishing stories!

2. Zig

Zig Member

Yeah, school and this house I live in has me behind on things I'd like to do, too.
    Just was wondering, but if my calculations are correct, you still have about 5 years before you tie me for a build that took 10 years?

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

The "I don't have much to report" update:
    The new house (and big barn for all the cars) project is underway. As a result, Penny, in all her partially completed glory, has taken up residence in a 40' shipping container while my woodworking shop (that morphed into a truck-building shop) has morphed back into a woodworking shop. Zig has a decent chance of catching up right about now.

Thankfully, the barn will be built first. I have an old AD truck to park in it.

Yes, Zig, I'll post pictures.

That is all.

Zig and RidesWithYah like this.
  4. Zig

Zig Member

How about a picture of the container? #biggrin#
    Look out- the bed on my truck is almost done!
    The house behind my truck is what I get to paint on this summer. I got the front (mostly) finished last summer, but this summer I want to get the rest of it finished.
    I’d rather work on my truck...
    Good luck, Mike!
    We look forward to seeing some photos!
    3C9F3810-53C0-42B0-B72F-03A99E80AFDE.jpeg

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

OK all,
    It's been a long time already. All my car-stuff, and the tools to support them, are in "storage", and Penny is still sleeping in a shipping container that Zig hasn't seen a picture of. We have logged approximately 30,000 board feet of White Pine off of the land, which went directly to the sawmill. Boards were delivered to the jobsite (barn roof and wall sheathing). This is a small portion of what we've stacked:
    0812181118a.jpg

This is a shot of the shop, with an 8X10 x12' beam which I have completed the joinery on. Others visible in the background, with floor joists to the left.
    0804180938a.jpg

6. 52wasp

52wasp Member

A stack of various joined timber:
    0812181119.jpg

7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

And a shot of the site- footings were poured last week, they are in the process of setting wall forms here:
    0813181649a.jpg

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow ~ that's going to be a huge shop .

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

The specs:
    House 26' x 33' 2-story
    Barn 36' x 48' with 24' x 36' lower section with 11' ceiling height, clear span (for the automotive lift)

10. Silverfox55

Silverfox55 Member

Nice looking truck! Can't wait to see how your shop looks like when the construction is done.

11. Zig

Zig Member

68542B70-EDAA-42B9-92B6-27364970777B.jpeg No Penny sightings...
    Thanks for the photos Mike!
    I threw my back out just looking at those timbers!
    I finally painted the last of the really high gable ends of my house.
    That much closer to putting glass in my truck doors?
    I hope-

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Love the old world craftsmanship .

13. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Just in case Zig thought I was sitting in front of the TV of late... (although right about now, it might not be the worst way to spend a half-hour), here's a sampling of what I have been up to in the workshop.
    0923181612.jpg

This is Post 2A [each bent has 4 posts, and there are 5 bents (with a bay in between each bent)]. It was a plain 8"x8"x14' timber 4 hours prior. The tapered joints you see are shouldered mortises, intended to support (naturally) a bent girt (for the full width-one), and a connecting girt for the half-shouldered one. Simple, right? At raising-day, there will be hundreds of unique posts and beams (I refer to them simply as "sticks", although a 200+ pound beam isn't exactly a 'stick'). All the bents will be pre-assembled, awaiting their time to be stood vertical. Pictures of more fun stuff to follow.

Zig, I hope this picture is OK with you. I posted it right-side-up, unlike your last post. I stood on my head, and your house looks great!

Meanwhile, Penny rests peacefully in her shipping container... next to my brother's (new) restoration shop. Don't worry, I think about her every day.

14. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Mike, your work is beautiful. I wish I had a transporter machine, like on "Star Trek", so I could beam to New Hampshire, to see it first hand.

I was called this summer to help haul some massive old wood beams from a building in Bloomington, Indiana. Each one, 18 - 20' long, they looked like something out of a covered bridge. I think they were pine, but they were still heavy. We had to hand carry them out of the building and onto the flatbed trailer.

Yeah, Zig... I don't know how to stand on my head, so, I juggle my wifes tablet, hoping to get fleeting glances of your house...
    It is very nice!

Steve.

P.S. Mike, Did you pull the plug, and leave the time punch work world?

15. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    Thank you for the kind words. Interestingly, I had my first experience with timber-framing in High School. My Wood Shop teacher was building a "bridge" to cross a small stream in his yard. The bridge was made of heavy timbers (White Oak maybe?), and I helped cut the simple lap joints. Fast forward a dozen or so years. A relative of mine gave me an old, used book for Christmas entitled "Building the Timber Frame House" by Tedd Benson. I know it sounds corny, but the book changed my life. On those pages, I saw a craft where few ventured, and extreme attention to detail was mandatory. I was hooked! I have, as a hobby, joined more than a dozen frames to date, with this current project being the most ambitious.

Want to see more? Finish that '50, load up the missus, and just DRIVE here (it's a transporter, just a little slower than Star Trek's). I'll give you the nickel tour.

And as far as pulling the plug... No, not yet. 3 more years. Maybe less.
    Mike

16. Zig

Zig Member

Well that’s wild-
    On my phone the photos I posted are right side up.
    Sorry about that... #redface#
    Mike- that is beyond impressive!
    Great way to keep in shape!
    Can’t wait to see the skeleton in place!
    But in the meantime, I need a break. Just looking at those photos tuckered me out.

17. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig,
    Thanks. We are ready to start putting WOOD on the foundation (milestone!).

When opportunity knocks, you have to open the door. Sometimes, it knocks when you aren't exactly ready. But you still have to open the door, or opportunity will go to the next door.
    Well, opportunity knocked recently, and I opened the door. The timing isn't perfect (I am a little busy at the moment), but here is what was there when I opened the door:
    1962_E_225_13.jpg

She's a 1962 Buick Electra 225 Convertible. I have been looking for one for YEARS. I happened to catch the Craigslist ad 12 minutes after it was posted. The rest is history.
    DON'T WORRY... Penny isn't going away. She'll just have a "stable mate". The car is very original (but not perfect). She was in the previous owner's care for 35 years.
    I hope to register her this week, and get a few fall drives in before she goes to sleep for the winter.

50 Chevy LS3 likes this.
  18. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Very COOL! Built back when you could tell what brand it was, coming down the street. Dad had a 1962 Oldsmobile, Dynamic 88. I think that is what it was. I was little, and remember those clear plastic seat covers that stuck to you, if you were wearing shorts. Big back seat, and must not have had seat belts, because I NEVER used them.
    Mom always had excellent targeting skills with the back of her hand in that car... Always able to get me, from the front seat.

Steve.

19. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Steve,
    I think there are aftermarket seatbelts wedged down between the seat and floor. VERY odd to drive down the road without all the 'stuff' we are used to now. No seatbelts. No airbags. External temp is measured by your left elbow. No anything with a BlueTooth. Stability Control is steering in the direction of the skid. Anti-Lock breaks mean you PUMP the pedal.

She is a fine automobile, luxurious for the day. Power steering. Power brakes. Torque-laden 401CI V8. Automatic transmission. Power seat, Power windows, Power antenna, Power top. Leather seats- buckets with console. Backup lights!

Today I purchased a 'parts-car' for her. Another 1962 Buick Electra 225, but a (an equally rare) 4-door hardtop. Many parts in amazing condition. Others to be sold. I could never have guessed THE car I have searched for, and then an equally scarce parts-car would opportune themselves within a few weeks.

We'll drive Electra (hey, it's a girl's name- and we haven't come up with another) while we finish Penny.

And then there is the progress on the new house... but those pictures will have to wait (AD truck forum afterall).

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wouldn't you rather drive a BUICK ? .

A very nice car indeed .

BTW: did anyone ever pick up where Wilton Electronics left off when the old man died ? .