Trouble Starting After Running

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Robert Grove, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Robert Grove

Robert Grove Member

Hello all ... I am new to this and new to restoring/maintaining my 51 Chevy 3100. I have had it for two months now and notice that if a I drive it for bit, say 30 minutes or so, turn it off, and then try to restart it in about another 30 minutes I have a very hard time getting it to start - no matter the position of the choke. It turns over, just does not start. There is also a noticeable smell of fuel. Have no issues starting it right up if it has been sitting for an extended period of time .. like over night. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. e015475

e015475 Member

I'd be looking at the coil. Make sure your points and condenser are in tip top shape and fresh too.

The smell of fuel means your not getting any spark from the coil to the plugs.

Coils often show this type of behavior (they open or short when hot) when they're going bad.

Hope this helps,

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My GMC does the same with its Carter YF carb..

Try this and see what the results are. Get the engine well warmed up, pull the air cleaner off and have a flashlight, a mirror and a rag at the ready. Turn the engine off and look down the carb throat with the flashlight and the mirror. DO NOT OPEN THE THROTTLE. I'm 6'5" tall and don't need the mirror. The innards of the carb should look dry. Stuff the rag into the top of the carb. Let the truck sit for 30 minutes. Pull the rag and take another look down the throat. If it is wet the problem is with the carb and you might try lowering the float level in the carb 1/8" to 1/4" below where it is currently set. The Rochester model B carbs that came on these trucks are known for being a bit dribbly and are sometimes made a little less so with an overhaul.