235 Valve Cover..Coolant around cover Screws?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Oct 21, 2018.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Hello All,

I have a 53 Chevy with a 235 Engine.. After 4 years in the autobody shop, I just got everything back up and running.

Got the engine running pretty well, but noticed recently getting a watery/coolant substance coming up from the valve cover screws. Mainly from 3 of the 4 screws on the cover, and wonder why this might be.. Do these screws actually go down to the coolant chamber?

Just not sure why I would see any coolant from these screws, so hoping you guys might have come across this before?

Best,

2. coilover

coilover Member

Got to be coming from the hose or T-stat housing or some place that goes into the coolant system. The valve cover screw holes are blind holes so nothing can come in from the bottom end. To prove this remove the screws and fill with coolant---nothing will come out. Set many valves with engine running and valve cover off and had no leaks.

3. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Any chance the engine set in rain while at body shop. Water maybe seeped in around threads and then weeped out when heated up? I'd maybe blow out the screw holes, replace screws with a dab of grease, and warm up the engine again?

4. JRS SSR

JRS SSR Member

New to forum. I have a similar problem that I have been unable to find answers for so I thought I would give it a try. Just purchased a 1952 Chevy Truck. It is powered by a 56-62 GM 235 ( casting number 3764476). While replacing a bad pushrod, I have found coolant leaking out of the 2 intake/exhaust side valve cover bolt holes. I did read that these holes should be blind, and the opposite side is clearly so. The intake/exhaust side are not. I removed the radiator cap and coolant (green) rushed out. I tried the fill with water trick, and the clear water turned green. It was clearly mixing with the coolant. I think I can insert bolts with a gasket of some type in order to prevent leaking when adjusting the valves, then pull them and install the valve cover. With that said, am I just patching up a bigger problem? Is there something else I need to do? , or further research?
    Thanks in advance.