What is a really good fuel PUMP for a GMC 228?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Took my truck for a nice jaunt about town, but it died at a stoplight. Pushed it to the side, called my wife (who "oddly" didn't care to go for a trip tonight...)
    By the time she got there, I had started it back up. I told her to follow me home, made it a few blocks and it died again.
    It's a fuel deal. Put a new filter just past the tank, but a whole lot of cranking didn't get any to the filter by the carb.
    SO... Anyone loving their fuel pump and would care to share name brand?
    Thanks!

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig, add "PUMP" to the thread title. Otherwise you'll start a fuel-brand war!:mad:

3. Zig

Zig Member

Eeee Gad!
    Thanks, Mike!
    That is a pretty important word to include!
    Last night was not at all how I planned, so that goes right with how things went.
    Today is a new day! (almost half over, but hey~)
    I'm thinking about the glass bowl type that Patrick's has? (like original)

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

In my opinion the glass bowl is just one more place for a leak to happen. RockAuto has a single diaphragm pump for under $33 with a lifetime warrantee.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks Bill.
    Would this be the fuel pump you are running?
    So I went to their website and checked on it. I know looks can be deceiving, but that looks just like the one I was using. I'll have to find my receipt and check to see who manufactured mine.
    Been too dang busy repainting our house to do much of anything else.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The fuel pump on my 52 crapped out a few weeks after I bought my truck. At the time I still had vacuum wipers, so I replaced the single diaphragm pump with a double diaphragm pump. Wipers still didn't work well, so I installed an electric wiper kit and just "jumped" the vacuum lines on the pump together with a short piece of hose.

I took the old pump apart and found it was full of gas tank rust. One of the valves had popped out of the housing and was lying in the chamber of the pump. I cleaned up the inside of the pump, pressed the valve back in and staked it in place. I'm keeping it as a spare. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'd bet Zig's.

7. Zig

Zig Member

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I feel pretty confident in the old pump, but I'd stay close to home for the first 25 miles or so.

9. 52wasp

52wasp Member

My guess is you'd be hard pressed to get more than 25 miles from the house in the first 25 miles anyway... Sorry, its been one of those days.

Zig likes this.
  10. Zig

Zig Member

Okay~ So last night I fired up the grill, and while things were cooking I figured I might as well go ahead and remove the fuel pump.
    I did.
    Once I had it off, I started fooling around with it to get the gas out of it.
    I held it upright and hit the arm a few times and noticed it was shooting gas out.
    #confused##confused##confused#
    I put my thumb over the inlet side and it would have none of that.
    A few more tries each way, same results.
    Apparently said fuel pump is okay. Maybe just had some junk get in it that it didn't like?
    Anyway, I just happened to have a new gasket, so before I reinstalled it, I turned the gas on and saw a nice stream come out the end of the line that hooks to the pump.
    Put it all back together, spun it a few times, had lots of nice gas in the filter right before the carb, but still wouldn't fire up.
    Left it alone.
    Went out this morning and tried it.
    After about 4 attempts, it fired up. And kept running.
    Pulled it out, drove it around a little bit. Parked it. Let it set. Fired right up.
    Did this three more times and now it's back in the garage riding the rain out.

What happened to cause it to die, then start again, after a wait, then die again and not ever get gas to the carb? A mystery I guess...
    Makes me kind of apprehensive about driving it more than 25 miles from home now... #frown#

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I think this is an electrical problem. Most likely a short between the steering wheel and the seat. What does "it would have none of that" mean?

12. Zig

Zig Member

Bill, you state the obvious. An in a hilarious way.

By the way, "it would have none of that" means I couldn't depress the lever. With the inlet blocked, it wouldn't allow me to depress the lever. If I took my finger off the inlet port, it would allow me to pump the lever like it would do if it was installed. ...correctly...

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I don't think that is right Zig. You should still be able to activate the lever. It might be a little harder given that you are fighting atmospheric pressure on the other (output) side of the diaphragm. Is your pump held together with screws? If so, I'd open it up and take a look inside.

14. Zig

Zig Member

A problem I have is this danged tennis elbow junk in both elbows. It makes gripping things very difficult. I am thinking if I was able to apply more pressure to the armature, it might depress. (I think it wouldn't have a choice in the engine.)
    I was kind of thinking it was behaving much like a straw, where when sucking liquid through it, it stops once that chunk of chocolate hits the end of the straw that is buried down in that nice, cold, chocolate chunk shake.

15. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I am all done with those crappy original style mechanical fuel pumps.

The original pumps with a rubber diaphram cannot hold up to today's modern alcohol/methanol/oxygenated fuels which rapidly dry the pump diaphram out ,resulting in fuel leaks that dump raw fuel into the engine crankcase which dilutes the engine oil and results in fried main bearings and burnt cam shafts.

Here is the way to update to a high quality electric fuel pump.

http://www.jbhardin-gallery.com/trucks/v...uel+pump#p35847

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  16. Zig

Zig Member

So I ended up with a fuel pump just like I had.
    Apparently, that’s all it needed as I haven’t had any problem with it since.
    Yay!

17. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

DZ, the link didn't work. did you move the page or something?