Installing Disc Brakes on a 6 lug hub

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Zig

Zig Member

Besides the CLP-PV-2 valve, it was recommended to use a 2 pound residual pressure valve for up front (disc brakes) and a 10 pound residual pressure valve in the rear for the drum brakes. This is recommended because the master cylinder sits below the level of the brake cylinders.
    This has been an interesting trip, especially when I read that there are some who installed a master cylinder that apparently doesn't even need a proportioning valve. What a time saver that would have been!

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I noticed that Sid offers an option to narrow the axle 1" when it's dropped, to compensate for disc brake kits moving the wheels outboard.

Does the CPP kit move the wheels outboard?

Thinking about having my axle dropped by Sid, so need to decide whether to have it narrowed.

Thanks, y'all.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/CHEVY_AXLES.html#RBHOBJ7DE23503122716

3. Zig

Zig Member

If you go to the first page of this thread and check post #4 or #8, you can see what happens with the hub once he drum is removed. I suppose the tires might be pushed out a 1/2" further due to the plate you have to use over the face of the old hub to attach the disc. The hub fits right back on to the spindle after the disc is mounted.
    Not really sure why you'd have to narrow this an inch. I'm thinking maybe that is for the kit that has the hub/rotor as one unit and you are not reusing your stock hub?

4. Zig

Zig Member

Finally done!

All I have to do is go bleed the lines, but at long last, the brake system is all hooked up and bolted down!
    With the help of my grinder and a thin metal cutting blade plus piano hinge, I was able to make an access door to fill/check the levels in the master cylinder.
    So happy this part is done!

Oh, the blue things and the red things are the inline pressure valves.

Attached Files:

5. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Must be a great feeling.
    How long until we get pics from the road?

Congratulations.

6. Zig

Zig Member

It is!

There is nothing like a nice, firm... pedal! Next weekend I will focus on the block and putting my water pump back on. Hopefully Evan will tool by here soon and can place his hands on my 228 and bring it back to life! :cool:

7. Zig

Zig Member

Houston, we have a problem~

And I have leaks!
    4 to be exact.
    Each one of them is from the pressure valve fittings that where apply at the factory.
    I have yet to see if I can't tighten the leak out of them, but that sucks when all my many joints are nice and dry, and theirs are not!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  8. Zig

Zig Member

2015-10-10 09.14.37.jpg

Just thought it was time I updated this thread, now that I have several miles on this system.
    The thread sealant I used (specifically for brake lines) solved the leaking problem. The system is as dry as a bone.
    The brakes stop my converted 3/4 ton just like brakes should. *Perfectly*
    These brakes, coupled with the new 2" lowering Eaton Springs makes driving my truck a friggin dream! I love it, I love it, I love it!!!
    Well worth the $$$ invested!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  9. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Lookin' good, Zig! Like that K. C. color scheme too! Although the Chiefs beat the snot outta' our Texans... I'm not the grudge holding type ;o)

10. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Bill!
    Well, so far we have paid for beating your Texans... Today is another day, however!

11. Zig

Zig Member

Update...
    Do not install the residual pressure valves.
    Master cylinder is actually above the wheel cylinders.
    The only problem I had was occasionally I would brake, but the brakes would keep braking until I hit the brake pedal again. Almost like they wanted to lock up.
    I removed them and just put unions in place of the valves.
    Still stops great and no hint of acting like they had.
    Again, I couldn’t imagine what power assist would be like.
    Anyway, this is more for any of you out there contemplating the swap from drums to discs.

12. Haasman

Haasman Member

Zig- did you do fronts only or both F & R disc brakes?