Tranny Troubles.

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by mwrog71, Jan 12, 2004.

1. mwrog71

mwrog71 Member

O.K., so here's one for you guys. The vehicle: an '85 GMC 3/4 4x4 with a 350 and the Muncie (sm)465 4 speed tranny.
    Experiencing some hard shifting and general stubborness from my Muncie 4 speed over the last little while. Sometimes balks at going into a gear and sometimes hangs up coming out of one. Becoming a real pain in the a** to use this thing. Won't hardly ever go into reverse without going into neutral, letting up the clutch, and trying again. Is there anything I can do short of tearing it all apart that will make this thing shift any better? I've had it for a while and it never used to be this way.
    On a similar topic, is there any 5 speed conversion out there for this truck? I'd like a taller highway gear than the Muncie has but the only option I can think of is the Gear Vendors overdrive unit. A bit too pricey for my wallet.
    Any help appreciated, Thanks.

2. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

Your tranny probs could be low gear oil or missadjusted clutch, as for the 5 speed tranny new venture has a 5 speed that they have in the dodges and early to mid 90s chevys, there are all kinds of adapters you can get to fit just about any t-case.
    Jason

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

Advanceadapters.com will have all the adapters for the new venture 4500 tranny.Karl

________
    Vapir no2

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. mwrog71

mwrog71 Member

I'll look into it. Thanks for the help.